1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mater-Dei vs. Carson High School Football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I didn't understand the confusion about the overtime rules.
    The game was in Long Beach so why were they using "City of Los Angeles rules" for overtime?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You've been away a while, Xan. Mighty Fohi, once the mythical national champion in prep football, snapped its 29-game losing streak last year.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

what the ...

the steelers are that bad?

but hey, they're probably not as bad as east carolina...

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Steelers are that bad, yes. And Dick Bruich, who left for crosstown Kaiser in '99 and is retiring after this year, has led the Cats to seven consecutive CBL titles.

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world in Fontana, big man.

5. Songbird

they didn't even have kaiser when i was in the lbc.

so with that streak of titles i guess football in the inland empire is kaiser permanente.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That they were, against Blue Springs South. Rockhurst won 42-14.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

They didn't have Redlands East Valley then, either, X-man. And REV, coached by Kurt Bruich, Dick's son, would have a little something to say about I.E. supremacy. As would Norco and Corona Centennial.

8. Songbird

wachholtz went to norco. he was a robo-qb. threw the ball like no one i ever saw. ot screwed at usc. woulda won the heisman if he got to be no. 1. otten never shoulda had the no. 1 job.

10 years later, it still baffles me as to what happened with wachholtz.

anyhoo, it's alll aboot the moore league ;)

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Oz, I thought that was them. Looked mighty damn good.

And can someone explain the OT rules?

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Carson was L.A. City runner-up last year. Used to be a superpower, had the athletes like Long Beach Poly along with Samoans to knock the crap out of the opponent. Then it dropped off a little and is coming back now.
    Carson was the home team in Long Beach. That's why L.A. City tiebreaker rules were used.
    Mater Dei QB Matt Barkley had so much preseason hype, I think lots of national officials were gagging on their Gatorade with his INTs tonight.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I watched a few minutes of the game, which was enough to remind me why I can't stand HS football, even with two elite teams playing.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Pretty sure they run it like college. One possession for each team from the 25-yard line. At least that's how they do where I live.

Draft saved Draft deleted