1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matching SI & ESPN Covers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Oct 28, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You're making a certain someone feel vindicated. ;)

2. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

SI's been doing these same covers for a least the last few years. College football and college basketball preview issues come to mind. Now with the NBA. Can't they come up with something new?

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That did cross my mind.

4. The ESPN cover seems especially lazy.

5. Yeah, well, fuck Tim! Right in his stupid ear!

6. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Is there a reason didn't tuck in his jersey for ESPN?

And these covers remind me of last year's SI covers with LeBron, D-Wade and Melo, where they took three separate photos and shuffled and changed the background color them depending on what part of the country you were in.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I'm just wondering what anyone else would do in terms of design.

This is the story the mag is going with, these are the players you the photog or your the designer are given. What do you do?

I like SI's better than the Mag's, but else could you possibly do? How else could you possibly pose them?

Personally, I'd have done the same thing.

Anyone else have ideas?

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Haven't you heard? SI was just hired by ESPN.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Now that was funny.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

This is an issue that we in the business might have a long debate about but the average reader/consumer doesn't really care about.

11. I think it shows that both magazines simply thought the Celtics were "THE" story going into the 2007-08 season. I don't see anything wrong with that either.

I mean, a lot of magazines put Albert Pujols on the cover for their preseason baseball edition, and a lot of magazines put Peyton Manning on the cover for their preseason football editions. Same for Darren McFadden of Arkansas for preseason college football.

Why is this such a big deal? Is it because the photos are similar? So what!

Or is it because everyone here wants to bitch, moan and groan about something because life doesn't afford them that other than here? Get a life! This is no big deal. And I serioiusly doubt the guys at ESPN or SI are pissed. If they HADN'T had the same or similar stories and one had done something stupid, they might be.

Use your head and think. It's not that hard. It is amusing how coincidental the photos look ... but that's it.

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

At least SI had Garnett tuck in his shirt.

Draft saved Draft deleted