1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matching SI & ESPN Covers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Oct 28, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Mine as well --- probably two sets of someones, one in Bristol and the other at SI's offices in New York.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

They're both NBA Preview issues. This is the biggest story leading into the season, aside from MAYBE Kobe. But these are three upper-echelon players, one of which was had via the biggest trade in NBA history, and the Celtics are one of two ("original" but maybe former) dynasties.

If one of the magazines DIDN'T put this trio on the cover and lead with the story, it wouldn't be doing its job.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I think it was conscious, but I agree with your earlier post: It wasn't very creative. Three guys standing there. Think a little bit.

4. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

At least SI tried to spruce it up a little with the old Celtics championship banners in the back. If I knew very little about the NBA and picked up the ESPN mag first, at first glance I'd have no idea why those three guys on the cover.

5. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'm thinking this your main point: the similarity of the shots, not the choice to put the Celtics on the cover. If that's the case, hopefully people will stop responding with posts defending the decision to put them on the cover. No one's questioning that, more the fact that they are basically the same exact photos, and neither is particularly creative, so you have to wonder why one didn't do something different.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Isn't Boston titletown? [/PhilaYank]

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

OK, then, whatever. That's design semantics.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

ESPN has been doing that white background for a while now. It's getting a tad old.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Exactly. The designs are secondary, to me. And, really, they're different enough for me, too -- green-white, banners-none, Pierce and Allen-Allen and Piece, basketballs-none. Is there a better way to assemble three people on a magazine front?

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I'm sure that both photo shoots had the three Celtics in dozens of different poses. The Celts had no way of knowing that both magazines would pick the same pose.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

It's not quite like Time and Newsweek putting Springsteen on their covers in '75.

http://img.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/1975/1101751027_400.jpg

http://www.rockandrollplanet.com/images/610_bruce_newsweek.JPG

YHS, etc

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Right, no issue at all with both mags featuring the Celtics. Or these three guys.

But this isn't a celebrated moment caught by the camera, a 'gotta have it' shot that had to be on the cover...it's a posed photo shoot, and it looks silly for both covers to have the same posed shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted