1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Masters tickets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Any idea - besides E-bay - where I could pick up some Masters tickets?
    I have two buddies who are looking for tickets, probably for Tuesday's practice round.
    Wesdnesday's would be great, but I doubt if I could get tickets, muchless at a good price, so Tuesday would be fine.
    Any help would be appreicated.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd try Stubhub, just because of its money-back guarantee. Might not find a great price but at least they won't worry about the tickets being legit.

3. mb

mb Active Member

FWIW, I got two to last year's Monday round on eBay and didn't pay anything close to what I thought/feared I would.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

good luck...toughest ticket in sports.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I thought the practice rounds were somewhat available . . . it was the Thursday-Sunday that was tough.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My advice is, move to Augusta, run for Mayor, and win. It's the easiest way I can think of to get 'em.

7. That's what my buddy found - for $250 a pop.
    I told him I would check and see what I could find.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

There are always people along Washington Avenue selling badges. Or just hang out and ask somebody on the way out if they're leaving for the day, and if you can borrow their badge.

If it's a local, you might get lucky. If it's a guy like me, who has the three practice round badges I've used in my life hanging on a wall, you might not.

Wait long enough, and you'll find the right deal. There are many things in life I've yet to see. But if you consider Augusta to be golf's Sistine Chapel, then you won't be disappointed. Plus, you won't believe the food prices either... makes fast food look like Ruth's Chris.

9. mb

mb Active Member

I got 2 at $150 a pop and could have done better. Wanted to get in so bad, though, that I went ahead and jumped on the ones I did.

And as dd said, if you're not hung up on being there all day, you can catch somebody leaving.

10. playthrough

Don't forget to apply to the practice ticket lottery. Open to the public every year.

11. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Wednesday's practice round and the par-3 tournament are swamped. Monday and Tuesday are better days.
    The practice round lottery tix are a good way to go. The practice rounds are cool because you get to see the golfers a little more casually, actually get to take your camera and take pictures around the course (though not during a backswing) and hit the many souvenir stands for the Masters swag.
    Which reminds me. I'm in need of a new hat. Gotta put my order in with the folks I know who are going. (My attorney and his extended family get 8 badges a year. It sucks being them).
    You can find scalpers up and down Washington Road, but the ANGC frown on their members reselling their tickets. They've been known to pull those privileges, or so the stories go.

12. playthrough

One theory I read (unproven of course) is that Augusta Nat'l rotates its lottery winners geographically to maximize merchandise sales, knowing that someone who attends will buy stuff for a bunch of other people.

Draft saved Draft deleted