1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Masters Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Apr 6, 2008.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'll be playing golf Sunday. I figure I'm not missing much if I get in front of a television with the leaders making the turn.

Yes, Tiger is the favorite anywhere you ask. But betting favorites in golf lose more than probably any other sport.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

The real question is Tiger vs. the field. I'm leaning toward Tiger, but there are a few guys I think have a shot. The list will always include Mickelson; Geoff Ogilvy is playing awfully well; you can't count out Ernie Els; and Vaughn Taylor, a local guy, would be a great story.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll be in Vegas on Wednesday and will check the boards; Tiger certainly won't be higher than even money or 3-2, which could open some opportunities for long odds on contenders.

4. I would write off both Els and Mickelson. Els' game is a mess and Mickelson's game is up to par yet either.
    Ogilvy is playing well right now so is Vijay, if he can putt, he could be a threat.
    I also like the two Argentians: Andres Romero and Migeul Cabrera.
    I'd be a fool to take the field over Tiger.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Els won a few weeks ago; Mickelson has had more success at Augusta than any active player not named Tiger Woods; Vijay is a nice pick, as are the Argentinians, though I'm guessing you meant Angel Cabrera, rather than the Detroit Tigers' third baseman. ;)

6. No! I meant Miguel. I think his glove will really help him get around Amen Corner.

Yeah, I meant Angel.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Vegasinsider.com has Tiger as a 7-5 favorite. You can buy the field at 9-2.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Tiger is even money to win on Bodog. Mickelson is 10-1. No one else is closer than 20-1. The field is 25-1, but I don't think it includes the top 60 contenders.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I'll echo the thoughts about Ogilvy. If it isn't Tiger, I'd bet on him--he's coming on this season at just the right time, and he's got the game to win it.

Not sure that it will be this one, but sooner or later, Adam Scott is going to win one.

10. Is the contenders the same as say the top 60 ranked players in the world?
    25-1 w/o the Top 60 contenders sucks.
    The field is only what 90 guys, including former champs like Sandy Lyle, Larry Mize and Bernhard Langer?
    So you would essentailly have your money riding on a handful of players who have a shot at winning?

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Damn, I was about to make a Charles Coody joke, but he's not playing this year. Dead-ass-last is up for grabs.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It sounds like that ... think you'd be better off spreading $20 each around on guys like Ogilvy and Vijay than putting $60 on the field in that case. Here's how it reads on Bodog:

Draft saved Draft deleted