1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MASTERS running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I get at least one of those every year now. I have my connections :D

2. patchs

patchs Active Member

I wish they sold Masters golf shirts online.
    I've covered the PGA Championship, NCAA regional hoops, MLB amongst others but the one thing I would pay my own way to in a heartbeat is the Masters. And then to win the Monday lottery. Heaven.
    I'm curious to how ANGC treats the media. Real leather laptop cases? Free ice cream? Best press buffet ever?
    Anyone want to share?

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I know there's the famous open bar for an hour on Sunday after the tourney. About 8 p.m. or so.

I've been in the media center (spectacular) and they feed you very well (not just sammiches).

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

They better hope I never win the Masters.

All those southern-fried aristocrats will be wolfing down pita bread, saganaki, Greek salads, shish-k-bobs and ouzo, wondering how they let the terrorists win their lily-white tournament.

Oopa! Bitches!

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Tiger ain't exactly lily white. Just ask Fuzzy Zoeller

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I predict no one on CBS will same one damned truly critical thing about the Masters all week, even if Billy Payne shit into the cup on No. 18 just before they signed on.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

The Augusta National used to allow you to call the clubhouse and order things from the course, but they don't do that any more.

And you can always tell who's gotten stuff from the tournament or from the course. The merchandise offered during the tournament has the logo with Masters on it. The stuff from the main clubhouse has the same logo but says Augusta National Golf Course.

It's not easy to get practice round tickets any more. I remember being able to walk up and buy a ticket Monday ($10), Tuesday ($15) and Wednesday ($20). Par 3 is one of the best days to be at the tournament. The players are loose and enjoy having a chance to interact with the crowd. Now, with the lottery, you have a tougher time of getting a ticket, though it's not as difficult as a tournament round. Hell, I've been offered $10,000 for a badge for Sunday. But you never know when it's someone just trying to find the scalpers.

Yes, the prices are reasonable for food. And you won't see logos anywhere. Even the cups aren't Coke cups that you would see at the ballpark. Always green. And that will strike you: everything's green.

If you have any questions about Augusta, PM me. I grew up in Columbia County (right next door to Augusta) and used to work at the Eckerd just down Washington Road from Magnolia Lane.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In 2002, by far the dullest of Tiger's major victories, one of the press room assistants was former Senator Sam Nunn. It was a weird experience when he asked if there was anything he could to help me.
    The most vivid impressions I got that you don't see on TV.
    1. The fact the club is off of your typical Sun Belt strip road, with Hooters a few blocks away and a religious book store across the street.
    2. The relative modesty of the clubhouse itself. It's historic, but hardly de luxe or large. The member's locker room is teeny compared to equivalent historic clubs around the land. Ditto the pro shop. The champions' locker is very grand, but you can't in there unless you get lost looking for a New England amateur, as someone I know well did.
    3. The bulk of Augusta National's members' see its main purpose and spend most of their time there putting on the Masters, not playing golf themselves.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

That's another thing that struck me. You could get cola, diet cola, pink lemonade, domestic beer or import beer. The only corporate name I can remember seeing is Sprite, because they didn't want to call it lemon-lime, I guess.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Heard a story once, maybe someone here could verify, even though most of the damn golf writers, I think, are in Myrtle Beach this week.

Didn't, Dave Thomas, the late CEO of Wendy's, offer to build a new clubhouse at Augusta if they offered him membership?

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think he wanted concession rights, too.
    Champions dinner: Chicken ranch special, chili and a Frosty.

What would YOUR Champion's menu be?

12. Porterhouse, baked potatoes, sauteed mushrooms and onions, corn on the cob, peach cobbler for dessert.

Draft saved Draft deleted