1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MASTERS running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Mar 31, 2007.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I think those in attendance can order off of the club menu if the champion's fare is a bit too daunting. But I don't think that'll be a problem this year.

And, SC, pimento cheese isn't the way to go. Yuck. Turkey sandwich, chicken breast sandwich, and pink lemonade. Yum.

For those who haven't been to Augusta National, you can't beat the prices. Last year I got those same two sandwiches, a bag of chips, and six soft drinks in souvenir cups (I wanted the cups, so only one was full) for less than 10 bucks.

And Tiger will win. Mighty slim branch I'm venturing out on there.

2. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

DD: Did you go as a fan or media?

3. doubledown68

Fan, and only to a couple practice rounds. Tournament badges are THE toughest ticket in sport, bar none. There's a finite amount which only increases at the club's discretion. I think they can be passed down from generation to generation. Anyway, if you want to see a tournament round as a fan, either know somebody in Augusta, or be prepared to spend a couple thousand dollars.

4. Tommy_Dreamer

I can totally vouch for this. And I've been to a round or two in my day. Not practice.

5. doubledown68

I'd like to go to a tournament round someday, but practice rounds are fantastic in their own right. The par 3 on Wednesday is always fun. Also, watching at No. 16 is a blast.

After a group is done hitting a couple tee shots each, the crowd yells at them to skip a shot across the pond. Those who don't -- except for the really, really old past champions -- are booed. And each shot that finds its way across the water is lauded with a lusty roar.

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Indeed, it is a blast, or so I've heard. Haven't been to a Par-3 Wednesday yet.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

par 3 course is some of the prettiest property at Augusta.
    it's a don't-miss event if you are there on Wednesday.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

SI picks Aaron Baddley to win.

Discuss.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Actually, it's a PGA Tour pro who ranked the top 10 contenders and picked Baddeley, not SI.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

that's what I get for not reading and just listening to someone who said something or other

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Very true, DD68. There were a lot of steaks being ordered that year.

Also, the club menu got a workout during the 1998 Champions Dinner, because the likes of Sam Snead, Byron Nelson, Gene Sarazen, George Archer and some of the other older champons -- not to mention their cardiologists -- weren't into Tiger's cheeseburger selection.

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I wish I was going back this year. Have not ventured to Augusta since 2002 -- where I played in the Monday media lottery. :)

Ditto the chicken breast sammiches. I ate a good 40 of those each week when I was there. Which might explain why Mrs. RB needs to venture to by me new trousers.

rb

Draft saved Draft deleted