1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Masters experts needed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Mar 18, 2008.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Getting practice round tickets can be cheap if you don't want to spend the whole day there, which of course, is stupid. But if you want to go for just the afternoon, catch people coming out on Washington Road or Berkmans Ave and approach them to buy their tickets. But remember, some of them can be Pinkerton Security trying to catch the reselling of tickets, which of course, is prohibited by the Augusta National.

Also, practice rounds are the only day the public can park at the course.

The best place to sit. Behind 16 green. You can see 6 from there, and IIRC 17 tee. Plus watching the crazy putts there are fun.

2. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

First of all, whatever you do, don't call them tickets. They're badges. Call them tickets, and they'll know they have a sucker.

No. 2, if someone asks you if you want to buy a Masters hat, look at it. They'll want $100 or $200 for the hat. That's because the badge is attached and it is free. That's how most get around the can't sell tickets. But you can buy a hat with a free ticket included.

Probably wouldn't stand up in a court of law, but they think it's clever.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Best way to get free tickets to the entire week, practice and competitive rounds: Get your Class-A PGA of America certification. One of the relatively unknown charms of the Masters is that they let Class-As in for free. Actually, the PGA Tour, U.S. Open and PGA do the same thing. But you wouldn't think Augusta National would do it. They do, and speaking as someone who has had his shitty swing smoothed out by club pros, God love 'em.

4. This is the spot. Just ask people who are leaving if they need their badge. One year I made a sign for my niece that said "I want to see my first Masters" and within minutes someone gave her one. No money changed hands.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Only the tournament rounds are badges.

6. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Brilliant.

Monday tickets to scalp ... $100-125, and it gets a higher every day from there.

Take your camera. Use it. A lot.

If the lot on the facility is full, get on washington road (with I-20 behind you), turn left at the light past the main gate in ... go down to the stop sign, turn left, then go a block or so and turn right and park down any side street; far enough away it will still be free, and it's not a bad walk. Just don't block a mailbox or driveway. You will get a ticket.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

If you are lucky enough to get badges for Thurs.-Sun., don't bring your camera.

Is that light near the IHOP? I can't remember.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Keep the tips coming, friends. I managed to score two for Monday. Oh, and pray it doesn't get stormed out, too.

9. btw, the official Masters souvenirs are only sold at Augusta National. Often there is a long line at the shop. But if you don't go there, your only other option is eBay.

have fun!

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Was having trouble figuring out, can we buy from the Pro Shop, or is that just for the high-rollers?

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

There's a merchandise tent with anything and everything you could ever want with the Masters logo on it. I got a flag from the 05 Masters, which I framed. There's a glass tumbler from the 06 Masters on my entertainment center, and in it sits the most perfect augusta pine cone I found. I also got a windbreaker pullover for like, 60, maybe.. and my personal favorite, a lime green golf shirt with alternating dark and light blue stripes. That ran me $70, but since I didn't know when (or if) I'd be back, and it's the only place in and only time in the world to get that shirt, I went for it.

If you're going Monday, there will be plenty of stuff. I'd save the trip to the tent for the end of the day, so you don't have to lug that stuff around. Also, a good, inexpensive souvie for friends are the plastic drink cups. They're like a dollar more. The two years I went they featured two different holes on the course.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Awesome. Thanks for the tips. April 7 can't get here fast enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted