1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Masters experts needed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Mar 18, 2008.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

So I'm finally going to break down and get (or at least try to get) practice round tickets for me and the mustarddad. Yes, practice round, seeing as how I do work for a newspaper.

Do I need to get them ahead of time, or would I have a shot at getting some the day we go (Monday or Tuesday)?

2. John

John Well-Known Member

You can probably buy them from a scalper when you get there. That, or eBay, is your only shot.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

only way to get them at face is to know somebody with an extra, or send a self-addressed envelope and hope you win the lottery... but that is next year at the earliest.

I've been to practice rounds three times over two years, each time on a perfect, 80-degree afternoon. If you get in, drink in everything.

You can stuff yourself at the concession stand for six bucks. Chicken breast and turkey sandwiches are my favorites, washed down with a pink lemonade.

Make sure you walk down 10 and up 18, just to get a sense of how damn hilly Augusta is. Make sure you look at the three-foot swail on the green at No. 6. In fact, get as close to every green as you can... it'll give you a whole new appreciation for just how tough putting is there. And as long as its a practice round, make sure you spend at least 30 minutes in the grandstand at 16, yelling at the players to skip the ball across the pond after they hit their actual tee shots.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You can go this year and get a couple of tickets from a scalper, but be prepared to dig deep.

For one week a year, it's a very pretty place. But I'd hate to see the club's water bill in July and August.

5. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

I was lucky enough to win the practice round ticket lottery in 2003, I highly recommend going to Augusta at least once because seeing the place in person is nothing like seeing it on TV. I went on the Wednesday and tickets were being scalped for about $100.

Great call on the 16th, Fuzzy Zoeller skipped it to within 3 feet. Only one player refused to try (I don't remember who) and he was booed VERY loudly.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Monday is the cheapest day of the three, those tickets are running about $175-$200 per on ebay and stubhub.

I'll admit to winning the lottery one year and scalping. (I have been to the course before.) It's just tough to ignore those profit margins.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

So it sounds like there will be scalpers there for the practice rounds?

8. playthrough

Yes. They even do a brisk business in half-day tickets for the practice rounds, scooping up tickets from folks who get to the course at sunup and leave early-afternoon, then turning them around to people who just want to go in the afternoon (or just go to the merchandise tent).

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Scalper? Did you call me a scalper? I perform a service, gentlemen, and the service costs money.

[​IMG]

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No, I don't have any Blue Oyster Cult.

11. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I echo everything doubledown said ... plus, obviously, spending some quality time at the 11th green/12 tee area is SOLID. As is the view behind the 16th green and at the 18th tee. I was amazed the first time I went how narrow that chute is at 18.

I also liked the view from the third green/fourth tee area, and the hillside between the sixth tee and green.

But when I played there after the 2001 tournament :) I finished with pars on seven, eight and nine. So that stroll is my personal favorite!

rb

12. playthrough

Fuck you, RB!

Nah, I love hearing stories from media who have played Augusta. Two weeks ago a colleague told me how he shot 98 there...with 53 putts. He said he knew it would be a wild day when he was on the putting green and placed (not dropped) three balls at his feet. He then put a glove on, looked back down and the balls had rolled far, far away.

Draft saved Draft deleted