1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Masters degree in Journalism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boozeman, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Boozeman

Boozeman Member

So, I'm working at a decent-sized community weekly and making a meager salary. There are some months where I can barely pay my mortgage and I'm lucky if I get home before 3 a.m. most nights.

To say I'm disenchanted with journalism at the moment would be an understatement.

I want to drop everything and go back to school and get my Masters. I'm looking to do it online rather than being the 30-something guy walked around campus gawking at 20-something women. My publisher said I should get an M.A. in Journalism and I immediately laughed. Maybe I shouldn't have, but I don't know anyone who has done that and the thought alone sounds about as ridiculous as anything I've ever heard in my life.

I'm thinking about studying to be a Librarian, but I don't know if there are very many career prospects there either. I'm just feeling so mid-life crisis-y at the moment. Anyone here got their Masters? What's a logical field to study to transition out of journalism? Maybe this should be in the "getting out" thread, my apologies if so.

2. Boozeman

Boozeman Member

The thought occurred to me after posting that I should have searched this topic before submitting, so I just did and found this old post: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/33793/

Any other insight would be appreciated though.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Poltical science, education, and business are a few options.

4. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

About to start an online program to get an MS in Sport Management.

5. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Here's where I'll tell you how a Masters in Journalism — or any degree — can help. I'm two classes shy of graduating with my high school teacher certification (found out today where I'll be student teaching!). When I applied to Sacred Heart University for the teacher program, I wouldn't have been able to get in despite having 12 years of experience. You see, they focused on my undergrad from UConn, where I graduated in 1998, and the 2.3 GPA I had then. But then SHU also considered my Masters, where I had a 3.6, and it was in a field that can apply to teaching Literary Arts, which is what I want to do. So I got in, and am doing great.

If you decide that you want to use the Masters as a stepping stone, by all means, go for it. You might feel overwhelmed looking at how long/how much, but just take it one class at a time. It'll go by fast, real fast.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I did that. It was a huge mistake.

7. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Do tell.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

California University of Pennsylvania? The local success story from a graduate sports management program in the same state consists of the alumnus babysitting clients during AAA baseball games.

9. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

No, but I looked at that one. I'm more interested in an intercollegiate athletics track; already working as an SID/director of marketing at a small school.

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I got my master's in journalism while I was working as an SID, and it was the best move I ever made. Absolutely no regrets. I had planned on using the degree to apply for SID jobs at bigger schools, but I taught a reporting class the semester I finished the program. Then we moved back to my hometown, I taught a couple of classes at the Big U while SID-ing at the local juco. Did that for a year and have been teaching fulltime at the Big U for six years. Having a master's will open many, many more doors for you. It sure did for me.

Good luck.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There are plenty of reasons not to go back to graduate school. And certainly, I'm sure, legitimate reasons to do an online program rather than a brick-and-mortar program, particularly in a situation where the benefits are relatively equal.

This, however, is not one of them.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A roll of Charmin has done more for me than my Masters in Journalism.

Draft saved Draft deleted