1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Massive fail in Fargo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So if you are a photographer or reporter and someone gives you a fictious name, even if it's Dick Sucker, what exactly are you supposed to do?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Something you know is fake, you don't submit it for use.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

IJAG is right. Integrity above all.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, of course. But I was assume this guy thought the info he was given was legit.

I mean, heck, could happen to any of us. We're out covering something and ask someone their name and we sort of expect whatever they say will be the truth.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, you said "even if it's Dick Sucker" which isn't an obviously fake name.

Yes, if someone tells you their name is Jane Willis, but her name is actually Susan Johnson, ain't shit you can do about it. But if the guy tells you his name is pronounced "Hey would you blow me" maybe you don't run that.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'd be much more interested in reading a story about a guy named Dick Sucker than in reading a story about a guy named Dick Sucker shoveling snow.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Only questions I would have is why he doesn't go by Richard.

Draft saved Draft deleted