1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Massive fail in Fargo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by micropolitan guy, Jan 4, 2010.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

They have corrected this photo cutline on the website, but the original cutline that appeared in the paper said, "Gene Masseth, left, and Heywood Jablome dig out a parking space for Masseth's daughter's car that was stuck in a drift Saturday at an apartment complex in Fargo."

Quick thinking by the guy on the right.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Massive fail, you say?

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/75227/

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

deskslave, you beat me to it!

Massive fail!

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you're saying it's a Massive Jablome DB?

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Whoops. As the copy editor probably said, shit happens

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Here's what the editor had to say about it. By the way, they were looking for someone on the desk a few weeks ago.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/264589/

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I feel bad for all the real Heywood Jablome's of the world. Who's gonna ever believe them?

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'd love to read it but don't feel like registering to read probably the only thing I'd ever read there.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It's a good column, acknowledges they were had, explains how it became the most searched item on their website. The most interesting thing is that the other guy, Gene Masseth, has become a minor celebrity himself. He didn't even know Haywood, the guy just helped with his car. And after the photog left, he asked him about his name because it was unusual and the guy admitted it was a joke. He said he feels bad for the photog - who's been there forever - because he had to be working in a blizzard. Also, Masseth's name has become widely searched since the publication.

And, Moddy, when NDSU shocks the world at the NCAA's next year in hoops, you'll be back. And registering.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Obviously not a column you'd like to write but that was pretty illuminating. Just don't let certain publishers read about the big increase in searches, they'll start demanding Heywoods start appearing all over the place.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I was able to read it without registering ...

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You are usually able to read one story on the Forum without registering. But there are kinks in the system.

Draft saved Draft deleted