1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Massive Baghdad Bank Heist

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Jul 12, 2007.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Guards staged one of the largest bank robberies in Iraqi history, making off with a stunning $282 million dollars in cash from a private bank in central Baghdad, Aswat al-Iraq reports in Arabic.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, an Interior Ministry source told Aswat al-Iraq that, “Three guards working for the Dar al-Salam Bank located on Sa'adoun Street in Central Baghdad were able to attack the bank . . . stealing a sum of up to $282 million dollars, and fled in an unknown direction after implementing the operation.”

http://www.iraqslogger.com/index.php/post/3543/Massive_Bank_Heist_in_Central_Baghdad

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

. . stealing a sum of up to $282 million dollars, and fled in an unknown direction after implementing the operation.”

How the F*** do you flee in an unknown direction with 300-Million dollars? Nobody saw anything? Think you might want to post a U-S soldier or two at the freakin' Central Bank?

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Shit, three guys made off with $282 million? Methinks we are all in the wrong business.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but one you pay the taxes.....fuck, nevermind.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You know... that's just what I would expect a bank robber or his accomplist to say,,,,

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

There in the wrong business or I'm a bank robber? Either way, it's not true.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fine....
    Maybe it was A-Rod.. some say he's stolen 280 million....

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Makes me feel better about Pat Burrell stealing 60 million.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How in the do you steal $282 million? Physically, I mean. Especially with only three guys. That much cash would have to weigh a couple tons. Even if it took the authorities an hour to respond, it'd be hard to load it all and get away undetected.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Kelly's Hero's ride again.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If they were in bills bigger than $100, you could probably get it done with nothing more than a pickup truck, although $500 bills and larger are next to impossible to pass. (I believe $500 bills do exist still, just not in general circulation.)

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm guessing most of the bills were hundies. That's the operational currency in Iraq, from all the stories I've seen on mercenaries security contractors working there.

Draft saved Draft deleted