1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Massage parlor ads?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Perry White, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/25/AR2006082501261.html

Growing up in the DC area I assumed it was normal for the Sports section to have ads for massage parlors...guess I was wrong

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Is it wrong to look for the "Happy Ending Special" when perusing such ads?

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The South Florida papers, at least when I worked in that market, used to run massage-parlor ads that promised "on-site dating." I wonder what they meant by that?

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

Maybe when they gave you a massage, there was a date stamp, like a UPC code... :)

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

On-site dating! Fabulous. Look, I got into this business at the Phoenix. Hooker ads put the bread on my table. The more genteel Herald only had "lingerie model" ads in sports.

6. this shit is nuts...I'll bet share holders will be thrilled to learn that yet another source of revenue is gone if sections decide not to run Massage Parlor ads. Prostitution is the oldest profession in the world...for god sakes, let 'em advertise it.

This leads me to a new thread.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

And what communities fail to realize sometimes is that they'll advertise their services one way or another, either through discreet ads in the newspaper or by strolling Main Street after midnight while wearing not much clothing.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

There's a particular parlor ad in our paper multiple times a week. The place is below a Subway, though. Kind of shady. But I guess that's the point.

9. TRS-80

TRS-80 New Member

What's really the bomb is when you see the lingerie girls/rub ads on pages with prep copy. Nothing like Billy reading about his football game and then seeing the services being touted.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Two massage parlor ads, four strip-joint ads in tomorrow's section.

Not too bad for a Monday.

11. lono

lono Active Member

The help swallows instead of spits.

12. Are you kidding? There was nothing like it when I was a kid growing up in Jersey with the NY Daily News, reading ads for Flashdancers and "massage" parlors on the same page as "The Slammer's" professional wrestling column. "Let's see...Superfly Snuka's in a feud with Roddy Piper, and Busty Dusty is dancing at Flapjacks."

Draft saved Draft deleted