1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Massacree in Five Part Harmony (Thanksgiving 2022 thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Nov 21, 2022.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Happy thanksgiving everyone.

ChrisLong and garrow like this.
  2. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Ours are less of a big deal. People don’t travel home the way they do in the States, it’s generally less of an event all around. Lots of people will say it’s their favourite holiday.

Our Christmas shopping season now seems to kick off around Black Friday as well.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

We used to go to my sister-in-law's for a huge Thanksgiving dinner. But her extended family has gotten so big so now my wife host her two kids and their families. Except this year, her son and his wife offered to host. Two sides and a dessert later, we're ready to go and it isn't even 8 a.m. I miss the big gathering, but the sister-in-law's family is Team Trump to the core and we're either Team Biden or Team Anybody But That Asshole.

tea and ease and OscarMadison like this.
  4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Good morning from central Florida. The motorhome's been in storage since April, so there are a few things to fix once we get over to the other coast (for some reason, the instant hot water heater's not making instant hot water or anything even lukewarm). But the drive down from Georgia was reasonably incident-free. And warm enough to run the AC.

My 87-year-old parents will have all four of us kids (and sigs) together for Thanksgiving for the first time in years. We're supposed to go to a buffet over at the officer's club at Patrick AFB (excuse me, SPACE Force Base) this afternoon.

Last night, we went to one of those "My Pie" type assembly line pizza places. On the way back, my nephew's Volt got T-boned by a teenaged girl who blew through a stop sign. He and his mother went to the hospital to get checked out but thankfully only have bruises and sprains.

My sister, her husband and youngest daughter were flying from Springfield, Mo., last night on Allegiant (Slogan: "Does anyone in coach know how to fly an airplane?") Their flight was scheduled to leave for Sanford at 6 p.m. At 8, they were still sitting in Springfield. There's nothing on the family chat that tells me they did or did not actually get here. I guess I'll find out later.

Crossed turkey legs of grace and togetherness for all you SJers. Peace and love.

ChrisLong, garrow and OscarMadison like this.
  5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Buffalo chicken dip is prepped.

Heading out to play 12 holes.

Dip goes in the oven when I return.

I'm going to enjoy today.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Awaiting word on whether daughter feeling ill last night was a blip or the start of full-on sickness. That in turn dictates when I leave for Tennessee.

My two best friends have already had their holiday shot. One is waiting on PET scan results to see if the cancer they found in his lymph nodes has spread. The other found out last night her ex-sister-in-law died in a car crash, and because her brother refuses to man up she’s got to drive to Mississippi on short notice to be with her grieving nephew.

I am not finding it easy to be thankful this morning. But I will try.

maumann likes this.
  8. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

It's still a little early for the annual local radio broadcast, but...

My mom wanted to pick up the local paper at the supermarket last night. Both Wednesday and Thursday were available, neither particularly fat. There aren't a lot of big-box stores left for national "Black Friday" advertising, and the local chain grocers are probably waiting for Sunday like usual.

She decided to just read the paper online, since she subscribes even though she doesn't live here! <high five for supporting local (and locally owned) journalism>

9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Working today. Enjoying the holidays as a spectator sport. Have already received two texts from two different relatives asking me if X and Y are crazy. Oh hon, all y'all are.

maumann, Wenders and PaperDoll like this.
  10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I hope everyone finds their strength this day, @dixiehack.

maumann, ChrisLong and dixiehack like this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I thought Wednesday was the traditional grocery store supplement day?

swingline likes this.
  12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

First blowup of the morning. I'm holding 24 pounds of turkey trying to drain the blood and fluids out. Need the wife to come over and put the cooking pan under it. She's in another room and says, "just a minute." I said, "I don't have a minute, I have 24 pounds of turkey about to slip through my hands and fall into the sink." She's meandering towards the kitchen, not wanting to miss 60-year-old Paula Abdul, of all people, lip-synching to "Straight Up" in front of Macy's (I googled her age).

I urgently say in a stern voice, "please hurry up."

Her response? She stops in her tracks, still a few steps from the kitchen, and starts fuming. I ask her what the hell she's doing. She says, "I've got to stop and take a deep breath before I say something I'll regret."

At this point I lose it a bit and tell her I don't give a flying flip what she wants to say, just say it while holding the fucking pan under the fucking turkey.

I didn't want to start drinking before noon but that's out the window now.

Draft saved Draft deleted