1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Massachusetts, Michigan or Washington?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm planning to visit the US Consulate in Toronto sometime next week to finalize my citizenship quest. When I get there, I'm going to look into registering as an out-of-country voter but, knowing very little about state and local politics, would like some input as to which state I should register in.

I suppose I should pick a state to which I have a family tie. My father lived briefly in Washington state in 1950-51 but his father lived most of his life in Michigan. My mother's father was from Massachusetts.

Massachusetts is where I'd seemingly have the strongest ties as my roots there go back nearly 400 years on both sides of my grandfather's family, but I'd really like to know what voters in that state, Michigan and Washington have to say about the political climate where they live.

Can anyone help a Canadian Yankee out? :)

P.S. I'm looking for real input so I can help make a difference in November and I am not interested in having this degenerate into a Bush vs Kerry (or everybody vs Bush) thread. Please keep that in mind.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Would think that Mich is currently the swingin'est of that trio, at present.

Mass certainly isn't.

3. sportsed

sportsed Guest

On behalf of 1.15 million of my closest friends, may I pitch the great state of Ohio to you. The nation's 17th state, we are home to two of the greatest cities in the country in Cleveland and Columbus. Another mid-major, Cincinnati, is the largest city in nearby Kentucky should you choose to visit our neighbor to the south.

Come to Ohio to be among some of the country's nicest people and to root for teams that never win world titles. We are home to both the Rock 'n' Roll HOF and the Polka HOF ... in fact they're just miles apart in Cleveland. Paul Newman, Jesse Owens and Jeffrey Dahmer have all called the Mighty OH home.

Welcome to America! Welcome to Ohio!

(If you intend to vote for Blackwell stay the hell away, please.)

4. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

I'd suggest you pick somewhere with a warmer climate, but I suppose being from Canada you're used to dressing in 15 layers of goose down and moose fur to block out the wind and snow and ice. Should that no longer appeal to you, I say any of the Sun Belt states will do. Bring sunscreen, though.

5. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

Are you choosing where to live, or where to be a voter?

And shouldn't those two things be one and the same?

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Go with Idaho. We've got a common border, too.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And to find it, you go South until you smell it, east until you step in it...

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm choosing where to be a voter. I'll let the job market dictate where I live, at which time I'll change my voting state if necessary. If I never end up leaving Canada, that may not happen.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

If you let the job market dictate where you live, you won't be living in Michigan. People are fleeing the state in droves.

10. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

A Canadian bolting for the U.S.? You should look at Raleigh, Denver and Phoenix.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'll consider anything. What's the deal with those markets?

Actually, a guy from my hometown is the coach/GM of the pro lacrosse team in Phoenix so that wouldn't be bad at all.

12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

But casting a vote for a democrat in Idaho is akin to pissing into the ocean ... ain't gonna make a difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted