1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Massachusetts driving while using cell phone ban debated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

People also have a right to get to and fro in one piece.

I don't understand what can't possibly fucking wait until a more practical time presents itself to use the phone.

2. Cagtomngpo goppaleingto frinantiele.
    I just typed that without looking at the keyboard.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I just ran that through dooleyfish. It says "Hillary Clinton rocks."

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Please also be aware of the drunk drivers careening down the road. Not their fault you didn't see them coming!

5. Damn you, dooleyfish.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Perhaps every two or three miles, state-operated remote roadside text generators could send messages to drivers' cell phones. "R U watching the road?" they might say, or "B alert, arrive unhurt!" Or "Y R U rdng ths fckng msg u ntwt? I's bck on the rd, b4 u kl smbdy."

2 dstrctng?

7. LOL!

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have a problem with people talking on the cell phone while driving if the great majority of people could show they could handle both tasks at the same time.

From my day-to-day driving experiences, however, it is painfully obvious there are many, many people out there who can't do both. I can't begin to tally the number of times I've seen someone piddling along the interstate at a nice 45 mph clip, completing engrossed in their phone conversation, and completely oblivious to the fact they are piloting a multi-thousand pound hunk of metal and steel.

And what they are doing is creating a hazard for hundreds to thousands of other drivers and passengers around them.

It's gotten to the point where I can pretty much predict someone driving erratically or unusually is gabbing away on their phone. Pull up along aside, and sure enough, yada, yada, yada.

Sorry, folks. You haven't proven you can handle driving and using a cell phone simultaneously. And because you can't, it shouldn't be allowed.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Let's clog the legal system even further.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Totally agree.

11. Simon_Cowbell

I think of the hundreds of morons I have run into who would insist that they can handle dividing their attention from driving the car.

Hey... Jimmy Leyritz KNEW how to drive drunk for 25 years, right?

Bullshit, just dumb luck.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Word for effin' word. I get pissed off at shitty drivers A LOT. And I would say about 85-90 percent of the time the person is on a cell phone. I usually make the "hang up the phone" gesture as I go past them, but I'm sure they never see it, because they're not paying attention.

I say ban 'em while driving.

Draft saved Draft deleted