1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Massachusetts driving while using cell phone ban debated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

It's banned in CT unless you're using a hands free device, and I'm guessing that will be debated in the future too.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Requiring a hands-free device for talking on a cellphone while driving is already law in several states. Can't remember if its a primary or secondary offense in NJ and Pennsylvania.
    I think its a reasonable law, there's no reason someone should need to text message while driving. Plus, talking with a hands-free device instead of holding the phone to your head is easier while driving anyway.

Just as long as they don't ban eating while driving, or changing the radio station/CD while driving I'll be fine.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

It is now a primary offense in NJ, Joe.
    Hands-free devices only and there's even some talk of banning them, too.

And anybody who gets pulled over for texting while they're supposed to be driving should have their license suspended for a year.
    Talking on a cell is one thing, texting while trying to drive is total fucking stupidity

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I have no problem with using a hands-free device. I do so myself when I'm driving.

I don't like the idea of drivers, however expert they may be at it, texting while in transit.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Jesus. Y'all sound like texting is an act that takes a Ph.D. to figure out. ::) :D

It's no more dangerous than taking your eyes off the road to scold your whining kid in the back seat. Or eating a burrito. Or putting on makeup (which happens ALL the time on the freeway.) Or, yes, taking your eyes off the road to change the radio station.

Ban one, ban all.

Or better yet, MAKE DRIVING EDUCATION MANDATORY, put it in every high school, make the test stricter, and raise the age limits. If you can't drive safely and defensively without any distractions, you don't need to be on the road.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You see, people doing this scares the crap out of me too.

But obviously I'm not so experienced with texting that I can just fire one off without looking at my keypad.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry Buck, reading and writring while driving is not quite the same as me reaching over, without looking, to hit the button to change the CD.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And honestly, I'm not trying to argue that texting while driving is smart (s-m-r-t).

But I don't like the idea of pulling over people for using their cell phone behind the wheel and not pulling over people for trying to swallow that Big Mac whole. Both take away from your concentration, and hell ... even the cell phone only takes one hand. :D

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Here in Rhode Island, Gov. Carcieri is proposing a $50 fine for cell phone use behind the wheel as one of his stupid budget balancing tricks.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I think it passed one of the houses last week. I just don't understand that "it's infringing on my rights" attitude.
    I don't think it's too much to ask people to be aware enough of what's going on around them while driving to avoid accidents.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

OK, fine, don't make it illegal -- just institute a $100,000 fine for any property-damage or personal-injury accident a driver gets in while using a cell phone.

Above and beyond any liabilities which may ensue from the accident itself.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i disagree like a sonofabitch with your point, but god damn, i admire your disdain of the man.

Draft saved Draft deleted