1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Massachusetts driving while using cell phone ban debated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.gloucestertimes.com/punews/local_story_017095436?page=0

One one hand, I don't think it's too much to ask drivers to be able to pay attention to what's going on around them.
    One the other hand, I suppose there are some people who really need to be able to use cell phones while driving and perhaps there is some responsibility on the part of people who aren't using cell phones while driving to do what they can to avoid collisions with people who are using them.
    I'd just like to see a law that would allow drivers to run over any pedestrain who crosses against the light while talking on a cell phone.
    If you're not paying attention, fuck you.
    OK, I'm kidding about that, but if you're crossing the street, pay attention and don't just assume people will stop for you.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yes. And those who aren't driving drunk should get out of the way of the drunks.

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I am normally on the side of keeping government out of my car or house.

I think the seatbelt law is a joke, I think helmet laws for motorcyclists is a joke.

But when it comes to texting, or talking on a cell phone while driving I agree it should be banned. The first two issues could cause serious harm to oneself. The latter could cause harm to others. I've actually had this talk with my cousin who feels there is nothing wrong with driving and texting at the same time. She's never had an accident, but she has come close plenty of times while I'm with her, and she isn't texting. I can only imagine how much closer it gets when she's being stupid.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

It's little different than driving drunk.

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Definitely is different than driving drunk.

All I can think of is the drunk drivers texting as they go side to side on the road.
    How friggin stupid can people really be?

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Are you in favor of seatbelt laws for children?

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Definitely is different than drunk driving.

Just not by much.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Shhhhhh.

Don't tell the libertarians.

All things at all times for everybody!

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

*IJAG crosses Massachusetts off her list of places to someday live if this law passes*

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't have a problem with talking or texting while driving, so long as the driver is capable of controlling the vehicle and doing either of those two actions.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Fuck 'em. I say let the children roll around in the back of the car. Serves them right.

Draft saved Draft deleted