1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shootings in New Zealand mosques

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Mar 14, 2019.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

But the Word is incorruptible and perfect! None of its meaning could be lost or changed through years it was shared only orally or multiple translations!

Or, you know, we could apply logic and reason and realize the Bible (and by extension, the Torah) are not truly the word of G-d. They are the Word, but filtered through the minds of men.

More importantly, the word was given long before Christians had a concept of the sort of weapons available today, so it is tough to make it relevant to this conversation.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  2. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know what you mean by wanting to use literal translations as excuses for law.

As I said about the kids, I guess God didn't want the next generation to have one parent that was a Canaanite. After Jesus the world was given to everyone.

I don't know the answer.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Has your god made a direct intervention in human conduct or affairs in the last 1900 years? If so, what was it, when and where?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Right, you don’t know the answer, yet, you seem awfully sure in your other answers that God loves life and babies. There’s multiple examples (Great Flood, Sodom and Gomorrah) in the Bible where God very willingly kills babies.

One example of literal translation being applied to law: Gay marriage should be banned because God supposedly in the Bible says homosexuality is an abomination.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Jacinda Ardern, New Zealand's stoic leader, has become unwilling face of Christchurch tragedy - CNN

"You will never hear me mention his name," Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern told the New Zealand Parliament Tuesday.

"He is a terrorist, he is a criminal, he is an extremist, but he will, when I speak, be nameless, and to others I implore you: Speak the names of those who were lost rather than the name of the man who took them. He may have sought notoriety but we in New Zealand will give him nothing -- not even his name."

"Our gun laws will change," she said, evoking memories of former Australian Prime Minister John Howard who clamped down on guns within two weeks of the 1996 massacre at Port Arthur in Tasmania, which killed 35 people.
    True to her word, New Zealand's cabinet met Monday and agreed on "in principle" changes to be detailed next week. They're expected to include a ban on semi-automatic weapons.

"I think a lot of us in New Zealand have watched what's happened in America and we sure as hell don't want to see that here," said Trish Jamieson, a social worker who was laying flowers near the Linwood mosque on Sunday.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Six days, and everyone in the country will be safer for it.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Just caught up. Don't know anything about the NT, but this is a misread of the OT. Replies inserted below.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't understand what this means. It is adaptable and dynamic in the way that it says to be adaptable and dynamic - by amending it.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted