1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

#UCCShooting

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The NRA has won. I am in the office and busy. I have a TV in here and usually have it tuned to CNN. But today, like I said, I'm busy, so it's been off. Normally, I'm a breaking news junkie. A little while ago, I got the CNN Breaking News alert in my email, thought "oh, another shooting" and went back to work without even thinking about putting on the TV. These things are now so commonplace that I shrugged it off. #ugh

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Yeah, sounds like you guys are really broken up over these deaths.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Price of freedom.

Can't wait to see what the Oregonian desk does with it.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just wait until somebody suggests that something actually be done to prevent such murders in the future.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If we got rid of guns, these people would just fly planes into schools. We've seen it before.

Riptide likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

So long as local, state and federal law enforcement officers are busy playing war with all manner of weaponry for routine patrols, I don't see there being any compelling movement from the citizenry to change anything.

It has to start with disarming the police on a day-to-day basis. We're in a postmodern age. It's learned behavior for these disaffected assholes.

And you will never - and I mean ever - figure out who all the disaffected assholes are, round them up, treat them, and then make that treatment work 100 percent, and then somehow pay for all that treatment in a way that doesn't infringe on the right of the 1% to buy another yacht. Short of Minority Report, that isn't happening.

The guns are the weapons of mass murder. They're what make the killing easy, and that makes killing worth it, the ease and celebrity of it.

Oh, and the day we stop publicizing these events, these mass deaths that with American tolls routinely higher than that of Benghazi, we become a house organ pretending Chernobyl didn't happen.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That nails it. It's maddening how we willfully ignore the glaringly obvious question of why this happens so immensely more here than than the rest of the developed first world. Gee ...what's different between us and them? t's a mystery....

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Your tax dollars at work:

[​IMG]

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted