1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass Shooting At Newspaper In Paris

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 7, 2015.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not 100000000X worth of difference.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Would it kill you to use a comma, Dewey?

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You were talking about consistently and vehemently disagreeing with the assertion that there's a distinction between "Muslims" and "Muslim extremists."

4. Mr. Sunshine

Never said anything like that. Go back to your media defense. It has some merit.

5. MisterCreosote

It was my understanding that "that" in the above statements referred to Sally Kohn's "slavish devotion to political correctness" in saying it's #notallmuslims are extremists/terrorists.

It was also my understanding that the original "that" was thus equated to "purposeful stupidity," with which you have no problem disagreeing. Thusly, you have no problem disagreeing with Kohn's initial distinction.

What am I missing?

6. MisterCreosote

For the record, I believe Islamic extremism is a huge threat and is trivialized by the debate over exactly what percentage of Muslims are extremists.

The solution to that issue, however, is not to err to the other extreme.

7. Mr. Sunshine

People don't need tweets to understand the obvious distinction, but Kohn's implication was that there's no difference between Muslim extremists and extremists in general. That ignores reality. Muslim extremism has been a persistent worldwide threat for some time now. Tweeting such comparative nonsense in the wake of the latest indiscriminate killing, for whatever reason, is stupid and dangerous. Whether or not it was the intent, it serves as an excuse/defense.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Do you think pointing out the reality of what you just described as a "huge threat" is the "other extreme."

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I keep getting "Methodists" in the Shoot 'em Up pool and keep losing. Damn again!

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

11. Mr. Sunshine

If you had 8 as the number of posts before someone said the paper was racist, you win!

old_tony likes this.
  12. MisterCreosote

Gotcha. Thanks.

I think Muslim extremists are more dangerous simply and solely because of numbers. There are more of them than there are general-interest extremists, at this specific point in history. And, at various times in our history, there have been extremists of all stripes presenting the same danger. Therefore, as the thinking goes, it is not Islam that's our enemy - it's extremism. To ignore that when looking at historical context is just as big a disservice.

Back to Kohn, hers is not really a useful statement or clarification to make, especially in the immediate wake of such a tragedy. But I don't see it as an excuse. It most certainly is not a "defense," and I can't understand how anyone could think such a thing.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted