1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass murder in the skies: was the British plot feasible?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 27, 2006.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

After reading this article, I don't think so.

So let's see, you've got to ...
    • come up with concentrated hydrogen peroxide --- you can buy 3 percent H2O2 at a pharmacy, but it's not concentrated so you have to boil it down beforehand without blowing your kitchen or lab up;
    • smuggle that, acetone, sulfuric acid, several frozen gel-packs, a thermometer, a large beaker, a stirring rod and a medicine dropper into the airport, through security, past the not-quite-paranoid eyes of airline employees at the gate and get it into the airliner's cabin;
    • lug all that stuff into the airliner's W.C. without drawing undue attention once the plane gets to cruising altitude (it may take several trips, and exactly who is that nervous-looking gent and why is he carrying a beaker and gel packs to the lavvie? And didn't he just take a double-handful of other stuff to the lavvie? ... Excuse me! Pardon me, stewardess, but what is he doing?);
    • mix it -- and you have to add the sulfuric acid one drop at a time -- without A) other passengers noticing the fumes and rising temps, B) causing a premature detonation which probably wouldn't hurt anybody other than you, C) the fumes causing you yourself to pass out, or D) anybody noticing that you have the lav tied up for several hours while you play amateur chemist;
    • actually produce enough explosive to bring down the plane, and you can't do that just by dumping the precursors into the toilet because it will produce just a tiny bang --- but big enough to alert the air marshals that you are indeed Up To Something.

Yeah, that was going to work. ::)
  2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

But could anybody afford to take a chance that it might work?
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

The point is: Unless everybody --- security, flight crew, passengers, literally everybody --- was asleep at the switch, this plot had no chance in the first place.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's what we have going for us. 9/11 was fiendishly simple. I remember being shocked to learn people could carry boxcutters on airplanes. Never occured to me that would be allowed. These later plots are so complicated they collapse of their own weight.
  5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

You can put all that on a check-in piece of luggage and ignite it with a remote-control car key from your seat on the plane, no?
  6. 2muchcoffeeman

;D Excellent use of the sarcasm font. [​IMG]
  7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The next successful airplane incident will come from an airport worker putting something on the plane.

I think it is a when and not an if.
  8. Donnie in his element

Donnie in his element Well-Known Member

Whoa...what's the news peg here?
Draft saved Draft deleted