1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass. may defect from Eastern Time Zone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Weird part about Arizona is up north where the rez uses DST and the rest of the state does not. Was sort of confusing when I worked in Flag since some of our outskirt schools were on the rez and we had to get times right for the paper.

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I loved the no DST while living in Arizona. Just not having to adjust the clocks and adjust with them or even worrying about it, especially with kids, was nice. Did have to think what time everywhere else was, especially with family living in other parts of the Mountain Time Zone. I don't totally care if places got rid of standard time or DST, although I sort of lean toward DST just because I'm not sure how much I'd like it getting light after 9 in the morning in the winter where I currently live (something I don't think people generally consider), although the later summer hours are nice, but I'm not against getting rid of the stupid twice a year clock shifting.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Do that many people really struggle with the clock adjustment twice a year? Is that difficult?
    It's been around since 1918 in the U.S.

I've got no issue either way. Getting rid of it is fine, but do people really struggle that much with adjusting their clocks twice a year?

TigerVols and Batman like this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

No, but the first week after the shift is a little jarring, because it starts getting pretty dark on the evening commute. We do an alternate work schedule in the fall and winter where we start at 8 and end at 5:30 every other week, rather than 8:30-5. It's dark when you drive in and dark when you leave. A little off putting.

JackReacher likes this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The clock changing is more of a nuisance than anything. And ridiculous. Go to permanent DST and call it a day.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Lived in Arizona for three years and, except for when the Suns, Coyotes, Arizona or ASU played a team on Pacific time, loved it. Had a 10:30 deadline for sports and could never get those games in.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Doing away with DST for California was a dumb idea that deserved to die. It gets dark by 8:30 local time in L.A. in July as it is. They'd be essentially on the next time zone over, which is Alaska time.

I do loves me some West Coast baseball, but a game with first pitch of 11:05 p.m. EDT is silly.

8. WCIBN

WCIBN Active Member

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

10. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

If you worry about changing your clocks maybe you own too many or
    just use your cell phone to tell time as that automatically changes

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

No, they don't. They just like to bitch about something, because they apparently don't have enough to bitch about. I see most of this in the spring when all you have to do is move a watch up one round, or push two buttons on a clock radio. Those folks are the worst. I love me some Daylight Saving Time.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't love it or hate it. Accept for few brief years in my late teens and early 20s as I staggered into adulthood, it has had no effect on my life, good or bad.

Like many of us if Gaelic heritage, I am prone to occasional periods of moodiness and melancholy; however, I have never noticed a correlation to daylight exposure.

I don't doubt the existence of SAD. It just doesn't affect me.

If you don't struggle with SAD and you don't live in the 18th or 19th century, why would you care either way? It's not even worth the effort to get rid of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted