1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass. may defect from Eastern Time Zone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Aug 30, 2016.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Unless you live someplace where summer lasts from mid-April to the end of October.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Despite Cosmo's assertion earlier, I don't recall 4:30 darkness ever, and in any case this wouldn't be addressing that, it would just be removing DST in the summertime.

Biggest effect I can see would be on youth and adult rec activities. Most facilities in California are outdoor with no lights. Without DST, you'd be talking about losing baseball/soccer/tennis/swimming daylight by 7:00 or so in April and May, 7:30 in June and July.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But isn't Daylight Savings Time an example of rejiggering the clocks?

4. LongTimeListener

Ace, there's probably some merit to the idea that people are out longer than they used to be. People who used to get home from work at 5:00 now get home at 6:00, kids have after-school activities longer into the day, traffic takes longer than it used to, etc.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I hate it when when it gets dark at 5. Instead of fussing with time zones, can't we just get the earth to stop tilting?

There's gotta be an app for that, right?

KYSportsWriter and dixiehack like this.
  6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Being on the west side of the time zone helps. In Atlanta, it's light pretty much up until 9pm in the summer.

Hate the cold and snow of the north, but also hate the gray. Definitely someone who's mood is impacted by sunshine. When I lived up north, the number of gray days strung together could seem like an endless string. Down south, the sun rules, and a gray sky is the exception to the rule.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've got two words for you:

giant lamps

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

9. LongTimeListener

Well that's good. Maybe the State of Jefferson will take it up.

HanSenSE and Spartan Squad like this.
  10. Spartan Squad

Are those guys still at it?

11. LongTimeListener

We drove to Oregon earlier this month. Still on the California side of I-5, there's a barn off the freeway with STATE OF JEFFERSON in giant letters, I assume to be visible from the air as well as the road. My brother-in-law saw a T-shirt at a convenience store but didn't buy me one, the bastard.

12. Spartan Squad

Jagoff!

Did a search for the t-shirt, I'm not sure if that is a serious state seal or the logo from a local moonshine distributor.

Draft saved Draft deleted