1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass. may defect from Eastern Time Zone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Aug 30, 2016.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I thought it was left field at Yankee Stadium where it got late early.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That would be one of the bigger problems I spoke of, unlikely to be affected much by an hour's time difference.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Seasonal affective disorder is indeed a thing, I have it. In November I am distinctly more miserable than any other month of the year. But fiddling with the time doesn't change how far your hemisphere is from the sun. FWIW, this SAD sufferer finds dark mornings far more depressing than early sunsets.

4. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Serious question - Is there an ideal part of the US to live that would minimize the effects of SAD ?

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hawaii? It's closest to the equator. Except for it, I guess Key West, but then you have alcoholism to worry about.

6. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

I've known people who have moved to Hawaii and then felt trapped on an Island and
    moved back . I guess Manhattan Island does not have same effect.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Charles Laquidara, a Boston radio guy, retired to Hawaii because his wife suffered from SAD. I think he moved back.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I know SAD is more common among women than men, but what percentage of the population as a whole suffers from it?
    Is it a large enough segment that it is a significant factor in setting state policy?
    I am not belittling those who suffer from SAD, but shouldn't it be a significant percentage of the population if that is the reason for changing that type of state policy?

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I want to retire from winter.

I wish I could hibernate. Damned shitty evolution.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Cold and darkness >>>> heat, daylight and massive crowds.

I Should Coco likes this.
  11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I'll grant you the massive crowds, but I'd rather have heat and daylight every day and twice on Sunday.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Arizona already does this without much problem. But it definitely would be weird to have half the West Coast on what would essentially be Mountain Time for half the year.

And it would screw up a lot of baseball telecasts to have Cali games starting at 7 p.m. PST, which would be 8 p.m. PDT on the rest of the West Coast and at 11 p.m. EDT.

Draft saved Draft deleted