1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass exodus

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Within the past few months, several people have left my company. Most of them have been on the news side, though one was in sports. While many of the people who have left were reporters, an entry level job that people usually take when breaking into the business, then move on to bigger and better things (which is to be expected) there have also been 4 or 5 news editors who have been with the company as long as I have (7 1/2 years) and in some cases even longer.
    Most of these people are not leaving for other newspaper jobs. Usually it's something in PR or technical writing.
    People come and go all the time in this business, but I've never seen so many people leave in such a short period of time. It almost makes me wonder if these people know something I don't.
    Could it just be a coincidence that all these people have moved on to greener pastures at roughly the same time or could there be some problems in my company that these people see coming and I don't?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Coincidence? Nope.

Run for the hills.

3. jaredk

jaredk Member

Be a reporter. Ask 'em.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It's risky, but there is often more chance for advancement when lots of people leave. At my first full-time job, I went from preps writer to MLB beat man to No. 2 in the department all in a little more than a year. On the one hand, it is depressing to see the paper go downhill and know you're part of the reason why because you are not as qualified as the person who previously did the job. On the other hand, the added responsibility made me stand out when applying elsewhere. The guy at a much better paper saw a kind of sucky section, but he also saw that there was a 22-year-old running the desk most nights who could probably do better with some coaching.

5. boots

boots New Member

I think you need to look at the paper itself. Are there cutbacks? Is it hindering your growth as a professional? Can you see yourself there say five years from now?
    Answer those questions truthfully and you will know if its time to get the resumes out. Don't leave because everyone else is leaving. Leave because its the right thing and the right time.

6. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

From my experience, it's not random. I've been at my paper nearly three years. Three months in, a new ME was hired. Just last week, he got demoted. During that time over 20 people left the newsroom (which at most employs about 30 people). A few went to other papers, most just quit to get out. When the ME position is filled, I'm sure more people will quit, and who knows if I'll survive?

And like jaredk said, discreetly ask around. Nothing wrong with keeping a lookout on your own neck.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think frank makes a damned good point, although, people are leaving for a reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted