1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Mass casualty situation" at air race crash in Reno

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't want to be anywhere near an active 74-year-old pilot.

The guy was a thrill seeker. Check out his site (if it's still even up).

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/sep/17/nation/la-na-reno-air-show-pilot-20110917

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My fraternity worked at an air show as a fundraiser when I was in college.

My sophomore year, a pilot crashed and died doing some random show for the people there. I didn't see it, I was inside a tent. When the story came out, it turned out this guy was one of the best pilots the Air Force had and had flown several tours in Desert Storm and was an instructor at the AFA equivalent of Top Gun.

Someone who had led such a heroic life, died doing something completely pointless.

They need to do away with these stupid shows.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

People will never stop going fast, in airplanes or cars or boats, and people will never stop paying to watch it.

4. Herbert Anchovy

No senior citizen needs to be navigating anything at a speed of 550 mph.

This guy was from Ocala, Fla. Horse country. That should have been his hobby in the twilight of life. He could have ridden the fastest ones and wouldn't have killed anybody doing it.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

A lot of weird, rash posts on this thread.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Yeah, nothing weird about a septuagenarian flying a World War II-era aircraft for a rush.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Well, we've had someone demand jail for a woman seen in a picture holding a piece of wreckage, someone demand the end of air shows, and of course you rambling in post after post after post about his age without having any evidence that had anything to do with it, let alone more to do with the crash than, ya know, the plane falling apart.

Yeah, a weird thread with rash conclusions.

8. Herbert Anchovy

1. She's a lawbreaker.
    2. These shows have no real purpose. Public welfare is everyone's concern. If you want to see a P-51, go to an air museum.
    3. A senior stunt pilot flying vintage aircraft that has been overmodified is going to raise some red flags.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

In the realm of things, neither do sports.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Maybe someday we will become a civilized society.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I read in the WSJ on line the claoim that the Reno Airshow brings in 75M to the local economy so not sure that I would say it serves no purpose.

Its not my cup of tea but neither is NASCAR or boat racing.

12. Herbert Anchovy

I wish I had a silver dollar for every time I've heard some chamber of commerce manservant belch forth that such-and-such event injected so many zillions of dollars into the local economy. Press this guy for hard proof sometime, make him show his work, watch him stammer.

Draft saved Draft deleted