1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass casualty shooting in Orlando nightclub

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Vombatus, Jun 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wonder if anyone here started a thread about it.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Fuck this is dumb.

I think 50 Christians shot dead after a 1 gay singer would grab the same attention.

Stoney, HanSenSE, YankeeFan and 2 others like this.
  3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I guess her killer didn't work just as hard as the guy who shot up the nightclub. Maybe then he would have gotten the coverage he deserved.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Since the emotions are no longer so raw around this shooting, does that mean it is ok to discuss gun regulations?

Dick Whitman and Smallpotatoes like this.
  5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

You need to work that into your brief tonight.

6. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

To reduce casualties in mass shootings, the most effective first step might be to ban the sale of all weapons with detachable magazines and limit magazine capacity to 10 rounds. These are the rapid reloading guns that have little practical advantage in hunting and home defense.

California has made strides toward this concept by making detachable magazine rifles less easy to reload by requiring a tool (or pointed bullet) to release a magazine rather than a simple finger operated push button.

Perhaps this can be improved on by requiring several turns of a screwdriver or an allen wrench to release the magazine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.