1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass casualty shooting in Orlando nightclub

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Vombatus, Jun 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Shooter also had suspicious device so they are clearing the area for any others.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This reporter from the Orlando Sentinel is giving pretty good updates, including this:

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Gal and Christal Hayes from the Sentinel have been following it all night. Great work.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Reading about this shooting and Friday's in Orlando...as well as a shooting here in ABQ overnight ... and all three stories have very similar quotes from witnesses:
    "We thought that there were balloons popping" or "We thought they were shooting off fireworks."

I wonder how many more of these incidents will it take before the general public starts to automatically assume that when they hear a sudden bang, they first think "my god, someone's firing a weapon..."

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm already there. Have been for quite some time.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too. But maybe we're more cynical than most.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Re: popping, balloons or firecrackers.

That's really a description of just the first few shots and seconds, and people's reaction. And there's a big difference between the sound of single shots and semi-auto / full automatic weapons fire.

But agreed - your initial reaction in those very first few seconds could be the difference between your life and death.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Who delivers the better statement, Clinton or Trump?

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Thoughts and prayers," and our gun-filled lives go on.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The bright side is that the Sentinrl will get to do a helluva double truck. Can they top Charleston? It's worth watching to see.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

We shouldn't be any more cynical than anyone else.

I mean, people have flat-out said our dead children don't trump their right to unfettered gun ownership. There's not much more soul to be sucked from this country after that.

Iron_chet and Songbird like this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We're at T-minus something before YF and others swoop in to try to draw a false equivalency between the Second and the First, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and other amendments. And this is my PSA to remind everyone that the contours of each of those rights have been developed by hundreds and thousands of federal court cases at every level. The contours of the Second Amendment have been developed by a couple of very broad Supreme Court decisions and Wayne LaPierre yelling at a cloud.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.