1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mashed eggplant

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by king cranium maximus IV, Jul 31, 2009.

1. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Yeah. Had an odd idea for a stack for dinner tomorrow night: base of mashed eggplant, then some sauteed spinach, then a grilled chicken breast. Just one thing...no clue really how to mash eggplant.

Anyone done it before? Do I need to roast it beforehand, or would steaming it work just as well?
  2. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

I guess no one else has mashed an egglplant before either.

Personally, I'd just stick with the grilled chicken and skip the other part.
  3. JR

JR Active Member

Mashed eggplant -- Baigan Ka Bharta--is a classic Indian recipe. My co-worker Dinesh brings it in with his lunch as a veggie dip.

Here's a good recipe:

Not sure about the spinach though. You've got chicken and two mushy veggies.
  4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My wife would have liked this recipe but I'm not going to show it to her because ggplant is a sore topic in the Cranberry household this week. I got a new weedwacker on Sunday and proceeded to take out two eggplants in our vegetable garden, not to mention whipping the crap out of two nearby plastic flower pots.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

King, I have made baba ghanoush and eggplant is the main ingredient.

To do that, you roast the eggplant first. It's pretty simple. Poke some holes in the eggplant with a fork. Then put it on the top rack in the oven, with a pan below to catch what falls from it and broil it. I'll roast it for 45 minutes to an hour usually. The skin will be a little blackened and the eggplant will shrink. When you take it out, cut off the ends and peel the skin away. The skin should peel away easily if the eggplant is cooked enough. Then just dice the inside of the eggplant into cubes. In the case of baba ghanoush, you add other things (lemon juice, garlic, tahini, olive oil), so I have never just tried this with eggplant. ... but for what you want, all you have to do is take the cubes of eggplant you cut and put them in a blender or food processor and depending on the consistency you want give it anywhere from a whirl or two to make it sort of "mashed" or give it a good blending to make it smooth.
  6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I probably wouldn't mash the eggplant if you're going to put spinach on top of it. I'd grill it. You'd have three completely different textures, rather than the "squishy" spinach atop squishy eggplant.
  7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

There is almost nothing better than grilled eggplant when the eggplants are fresh, especially the Sicilian ones. Well, maybe ripe Ohio tomatoes but almost nothing. Just cut the eggplan into like 1-inch high rounds and slather some olive oil on it and put some salt and pepper or maybe garlic salt and grill on a grill or a grill pan.
  8. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Makes sense to me. General idea on temperature?

t_b_f: good point.
  9. The Big Ragu

Oven temperature? Yeah. 400 degrees, preheated.
  10. JR

JR Active Member

Sorry, are you broiling it or roasting it?
  11. The Big Ragu

Really sorry. Roasting. I shouldn't have written broil. It's nothing crazy or difficult. Just preheat the oven and put the eggplant right on the top rack (poke holes in it first with fork). The skin will shrivel as it cooks and peel right off when you are done. The roasted flavor of eggplant, mixed with the garlic in babaghanoush, is one of my favorite taste combos on earth.
  12. The Big Ragu

By the way. ... Not all eggplant is created equal, at least I think so. The fat purple American eggplant most people are used to isn't nearly as good roasted as the long thin Asian ones that have a sweeter taste.
Draft saved Draft deleted