1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mashable: Google declares war on content farms

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mediaguy, Feb 25, 2011.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Encouraging story from Mashable on Google tweaking its search algorithms to provide more relevant results -- doesn't specifically mention Bleacher Report, but for sports writers, less BR in searches is probably the best result from this.

http://mashable.com/2011/02/25/google-content-farms/

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Demand Studios claims it will have content that's above all this; will be interesting to see whether that's true.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

If they hammer down on Bleacher Report, that site is dead.

Google algorithm manipulation was their business model. Tell me again why venture capitalists were on board with that?

4. VJ

VJ Member

Because they assumed that the conditions that existed yesterday will exist tomorrow. Fatal flaw.

5. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

We should buy some popcorn and watch the B/R explosion should this come to fruition.

I hate to wish ill of folks, but their "brand" is so horrid and they boast like they are God's gift to journalism because of all the traffic they can produce.

I've always been taught that quality will out-trump quantity.

I so hope B/R gets its comeuppance.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Big Lady Gaga fans.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I dunno ... I don't want any media companies getting any comeuppance right now.

Interestingly, they've also started hiring a few decent people there.

I don't like a lot of their worst content; I also don't want them forced out of business.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

SF, if a company's business model involves fucking with the core operation of a business one trillion times bigger than it is, it's going to and deserves to be stomped like a bug by the bigger business.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The gal at BR has finally stopped blowing somebody at Google.

Whah whah whah..........

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I have a nephew who's a freshman at Missouri who is writing for B/R. Hope I can still find his work when this goes down. In all fairness, he does write legitimate stories and not rush jobs off the hot search terms.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A little off-topic, but I saw this today and thought it interesting. Joe Sports Fan lays the smack down on Bleacher Report.
    Gotta love blogger-on-blogger violence.

http://www.joesportsfan.com/?p=7922

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Reading content on Bleacher Report is the equivalent of going into a well publicized restaurant, sitting down to eat and then realizing that the kitchen allows anyone and everyone to head back there, cook meals and serve them up to the public. You can possibly catch a good meal, but there's just as good a chance that you're going to get cheese hot dogs and ramen noodles.*

*Often they serve you only one bite at a time so they can brag about how many "plates" they went through in a night. And let's be real, content-wise JSF often serves cheese hot dogs and ramen noodles too, but at least you know what's on the menu when you walk in the door as opposed to us luring you in with promises that we're a legit sports news outlet.

That is fantastic.

Draft saved Draft deleted