1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maryland to Big Ten

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by young-gun11, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well done. And, yes, I've guessin that's very much how it went.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't think so. And still having ND in other sports gives those a max of 17 schools playing. How well would a 17-team basketball schedule work?

(Was the Big East ever at 17 or more for basketball? I really haven't paid attention.)

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Boise State and San Diego State considering the MWC. Also, with new post-season format, they'd be in same shape regarding a Big Time Bowl game in the MWC as in the (what's left of) Big East. BYU might also try to rejoin MWC.

4. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Any scuttlebutt about what the basketball-only Big East teams will do?

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Your boy Scott Van Pelt put it rather well today. Talking about the tradition-laden heyday of ACC hoops, he said, "People today are having a funeral for something that died a long time ago."

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That is sooooo......

[​IMG]

7. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Onion Sports Network @OnionSports
    Longstanding Rutgers-Iowa Rivalry To Be Reignited In New Big 10 Conference | More Sports News: onion.com/PBdjj8

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

do they play lacrosse in the BigX?

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State do.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And if all that plays out ... does the MWC tell Utah State and San Jose State thanks, but no thanks?

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

No. I think the MWC would go to 14 then. They supposedly didn't expand further when Boise and San Diego State said they were leaving just in case this happened. I don't know who else they would have asked to join then, but I guess it makes sense.

San Diego State's AD is denying the talks and pumping the Big East still, but Boise's AD had talks to stay in the MWC up until the 11th hour this summer and denied that too.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/nov/19/sdsu-says-its-moving-foward-big-east/

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If the Big Ten really wanted to expand, Pittsburgh and Syracuse would have been better options.

I predict this move won't go over well or last for the long term.

Draft saved Draft deleted