1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maryland to Big Ten

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by young-gun11, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

First Chief Illiniwek, now this.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The ACC sold out its tradition bit by bit over the last decade. When a founding member's "rivalry" is with Pitt?! Look, that's not an indictment of the Panthers as a basketball program. It's just damn sure not traditional.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'll be DAMNED if I'm going to sit back and let someone fuck with the tradition that is the Legends and Leaders division!

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If they ever moved Nebraska out of the Legends division, I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

+1 billion

All this conference realignment BS should be called for what it really is: chasing the almighty dollar, on the backs of an unpaid labor force.

I never thought I'd say this, but I now prefer pro sports over college. There is too much hypocrisy in the NC$$ and these institutions of "higher learning."

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

So Mr. Swofford, your big plan to solidify the ACC was to add Syracuse and Pitt and bend over for Notre Dame, but in doing so you frustrated a founding member of the league to the point it decided to bail. And if Maryland gets away with no or minimal exit fee Georgia Tech, Florida State, Clemson and who knows which other schools could be next.

Good work.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

There's a definite "had it comin" element for the ACC here. They sort of pioneered the whole trend of stealing other conference's more desirable members with their raids on the Big East over the years. Guess they never figured a bigger fish might seize on the idea and do the same to them.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sooo...

UMass to the Big East?

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I would assume. UConn to the ACC. UMass to the Big East.

But, honestly, how many more blows can the Big East sustain? Hell, teams are now trying to get back into the Mountain West rather than having to be part of the Big East. I think losing Rutgers was the final straw, IF the final straw hadn't already been drawn when they lost Syracuse, WV and Pitt. Nobody's taking the BE seriously as a major conference again.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Goddamit, just when I had finally gotten to remember that one division was "The M's, the N's and Iowa" and the other was "WOPPII." Hell, that's what they just ought to call the divisions. Put Maryland in the M-N-Iowa Division and Rutgers in the WOPPIIR division and have it sponsored by Burger King (by pronouncing it "Whopper").

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So if the ACC was to totally raid the Big East and take Louisville and Cincinnati in addition to UConn in order to get to 16 schools, do they still need Notre Dame for football scheduling purposes?

12. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I wonder how the day went in the Boise State athletic department...

"Well, we'll be in the Big East next year. Things are looking up for us because we won't have to go 12-0 anymore to get the big bowl money. We might even be able to get away with being 8-4....

"What's that you say? The new system puts the Big East in the same group with the MAC and Sun Belt. Well, hell....

"Sorry, come again? Rutgers just went to the Big 10? Well, okay, who's left? Louisville, OK. Cincinnati, OK. Navy? Um... Temple? Shit.

"What's the number for the Mountain West office again? Switch it to my desk when you get through."

Draft saved Draft deleted