1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maryland to Big Ten

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by young-gun11, Nov 19, 2012.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

More Fat 10 elitism. You realize your conference has been sliding for the better part of a decade, right? And Rutgers will be the new Minnesota of the Fat 10. Nothing more. if you know anything about Rutgers football, you know its been a struggle to fund that program for 100 years. They're currently $26 million in debt and had to beg the state for a stadium expansion. Sorry, I know you kool aiders love to wax poetic about your slow, fat, white boy conference, but the fact remains that the Fat 10 is STILL Ohio State, Michigan and everyone else, and no one in NYC cares about college football.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

But, even when they get to the Big 10, Rutgers and Maryland will still have the smallest stadiums and smallest football fan bases in the conference, so it's not like it will immediately vault them to football relevance.

A better conference ain't always a better deal for a football program's profile and recruiting. For example, in Kentucky, UL is is in the lowly Big East, UK is in the mighty SEC, but guess which one dominates that state in terms of landing the better recruits and drawing the bigger crowds?

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This presser is amazing. Any college program pleading poverty is rather rich, especially when Phil Knight East is bankrolling it.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Great. Now Maryland can get curb stomped by teams that could care less about the Turtle.

At least in the ACC they had actual rivals.

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Hartford Courant says invite from ACC to UConn could go out by Tuesday.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's the other thing. For all the talk about football, how will this affect college basketball. They'll lose Duke, UNC and Virginia as hoops rivals.

The more of this realignment, the more I hate it. It's getting to the point where you can't tell who belongs to what conference, or recognize them on TV from their uniforms.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I've given up on trying to keep up with it. I simply don't care anymore. All this moving around has made me far less interested in college sports -- especially college football -- than I was as recently as five years ago.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

If you are wringing your hands over this shit at this point, you're a fool.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The only home-and-homes Maryland would've had in this revised ACC was Pitt and Virginia. That's it. No real history with Pitt, and while there was with UVa, that didn't replace marquee games against Duke and North Carolina vanishing from the schedule. Those football additions definitely hurt the basketball product for some schools.

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Well for one thing Maryland just became the B1G team with the most recent national title in hoops (It was a nice run, Sparty).

And completely agree with you on not knowing who's in what conference.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Funny how Louisville could grow its stature and fanbase and stadium in that God awful Big East? It's your leadership and commitment to the product, not your Goddam conference affiliation, otherwise Minnesota and Purdue woldnt be dumpster fires.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Pete Thamel ‏@SIPeteThamel
    BREAKING: @sinow obtains MD projected financial #s for B10 move. Will make nealy $100 million more by 2020.

Pete Thamel ‏@SIPeteThamel
    In projected numbers, Maryland gets $32 million in 2014 instead of $20. MD projects to get $43 million in 2017 opposed to $24.

Draft saved Draft deleted