1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maryland nears death penalty abolition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't approve of it and neither do I think you're a Republican. I'm just expressing my thought that I'm pretty certain that Republicans - i.e. the ones in Congress - did not think that this would be the terror battle they would be waging against this administration.

2. GeorgeFHayek

GeorgeFHayek Member

Further, at the rate it's imposed right now, it's awfully capricious and arbitrary. That, to me, is nearly as troubling as the potential for mistakes.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

For sure. The aggravating circumstances vary by state. And they can vary pretty widely. I think the death penalty is something that, even if one supports it in theory, it is somewhat difficult to imagine a scenario where it can be applied in practice in a way that's defensible.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Maryland has already gotten far more restrictive on its use of the death penalty in recent years, but now as the governor's final term winds down, he begins to look ahead to 2016. He'd like something pretty progressive to hang his hat on, since even though he has super majorities in the house and senate, Andrew Cuomo a few states up keeps doing a better job of making him look like the political wimp he can so often be.

And that said, I agree with the direction the state is going here. But sheesh.

Draft saved Draft deleted