1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marvin Miller's last chance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

2013 is the next year for this group

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They do that all the time at Red Sox-Yankees games. It's called "the fourth inning."

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yes, why is that?

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I get the outrage over Miller's exclusion, but what difference does it really make? Do you feel better about Rick Ferrell because he's in the Hall of Fame? It's a museum in a small town in upstate New York. Don't history books adequately explain the importance of Marvin Miller in an entity called Major League Baseball?

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Personally, I think it's cruel and petty to drag a 93-year-old man through this level of political bullshit when he's beyond just deserving of the honor.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Also, who knows if he'll be alive the next time they vote on this era.

Let him experience the induction firsthand, instead of just his family.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

What a crock of shit.

The only common link between all the incarnations of the Veterans Committees is they are all fucking worthless. They're the BCS of HOFs.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I found this quote funny on why Steinbrenner may have been voted down: “It’s kind of like, if Glass had $200 million a year in Kansas City, he’d probably be a winner, too,” Bench said.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

But what difference does it make if he has a plaque in this building or doesn't? Marvin Miller's place in history is established. This isn't sainthood, it's a plaque in a museum.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

And if that museum wants to be taken seriously as a place of baseball history, Marvin Miller deserves a plaque for what he did for the players union and how he changed the game.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Uh, that's what I pretty much said, without being downright nasty about it, Ben.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Brief and trenchant is Ben's thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted