1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marvin Miller's last chance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Dec 6, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why George (who I think does belong) and not Miller (who absolutely belongs)?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You're a huge Yankees fan. Without Marvin Miller, Catfish Hunter isn't a Yankee in 1975 (or was it 76?). Reggie Jackson doesn't become a Yankee and the "Bronx Zoo" teams never gain that distinction. Today, players don't move around the way they do creating all new teams each season. The Yankees can't get a Cliff Lee this offseason, for example -- there is no bidding for his services. Players don't train all year round--which has made the game more professional--because most have/need offseason jobs because they haven't figured out how to use their obvious leverage as highly-skilled people.

Whether he "advanced" the game is open to debate, although I can make very strong arguments that he certainly did -- with the era of free agency he ushered in, in particular. Marvin Miller certainly impacted the game in a major way, though -- more than many of the PLAYERS being inducted every year.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ragu's post says it all ... and in less than 1,000 words for a change

4. The Big Ragu

Well, I know at your age, your ability to read and comprehend lots of words slows down. I was trying to be considerate.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Thanks, I appreciate it.

6. The Big Ragu

My pleasure. I sort of consider you the Marvin Miller of the board (apologies to cranberry).

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yeah, I helped moderators like you get higher wages and better working cnditions.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You would be a candidate for SJ HOF if your spelling was better.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

It's not my spelling, it's my typing.
    You're the one with the spelling issues.

10. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Not to try to compare the volume or impact of their accomplishments, but I think you guys are ignoring some of the changes to the draft that came specifically because of loopholes that Boras exploited.

Again, it's nothing compared to Miller, but it's not insignificant either.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

There is another thread on this, but it's over here:

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?101484-Marvin-Miller-s-last-chance

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

What the flying fuck?!

Draft saved Draft deleted