1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marvin Miller's last chance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Dec 6, 2010.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Vets Committee results announced today. Why do I have a bad feeling he's going to get screwed again when noted anti-union hawks David Glass and Jerry Reinsdorf make up one-eighth of the 16-man committee?

Some very interesting names on this ballot, many of whom should already be in. I imagine Steinbrenner gets in, and how great would it be if Billy Martin goes in with him? Get Pat Gillick in there too. Built two World Series champs a baseball generation apart.

http://baseballhall.org/news/voting-news/yankee-legacy

(Apologies if there is already a similar thread but thought this deserved some discussion today)

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Martin is not in the HOF as a manager? Obviously I did not know that.

You are right, George and Billy going in together would be something.

And Marvin Miller changed baseball. Keeping him out is wrong.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I guess Steinbrenner should get in just for being the only owner ever suspended twice and the only sitting owner with a felony conviction...because he did so much for the game playing under rules that favored his team and few others...and eventually left baseball with a gross competitive imbalance, interminable games, November rallies, and a faltering Q rating in the American sports landscape. You could look it up.

If you can separate Martin's baseball acumen (oops, including ruining the careers of most of the Oakland pitching staff in one season) from his vile behavior, I guess so, too.

4. 93Devil

If ruining pitcher arms could be held against you, I guess the guy who managed the Dodgers in the 1970s and 1980s should be investigated.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's a Dodger managerial tradition, going back to ancient times.

"Hey, it's not MY arm . . . where's my free lunch?"

Fat pig.

6. 93Devil

I guess Ben does not work for a TV station.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Fuck the HOF.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If Marvin Miller doesn't make it, while George Steinbrenner, he of the suspensions and arrests and all that as an owner, does, it'll be a travesty. In fact the whole Steinbrenner to the hall thing is built soley on the last 10 years when he paid his way into good graces among NYers. Gene Michael better get a plaque too, for laying the groundwork.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Only Gillick made it. Marvin got 11 votes -- one shy. It will be interesting to hear the excuses reasons the voters denied entry to a 93-year-old man who was one of the three most significant industry figures of the 20th century.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Utter bullshit.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

An absolute travesty that Marvin Miller is not in the Hall of Fame.

Delighted that alcoholic bigoted piece of garbage Billy Martin is not.

12. 93Devil

I would love to see the players on opening day after the first pitch is thrown, no matter what happens, sit down on the field for 10 minutes to honor Miller.

The pitcher takes the ball on the rubber, steps off and sits down. Every player on the field, and the batter, sits down as well. Nothing happens for 10 minutes. Than after 10 minutes, they get up and play baseball.

They sure as shit owe him that.

Draft saved Draft deleted