1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marvin Harrison accused of shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, May 2, 2008.

1. I, for one, am shocked that marijuana was not involved.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Whatever, JC. Sorry if it was over the top. I have spent a lot of time around football players. And I typed that specifically because, as I said, I can't picture that man, in particular, shooting someone. I picture him ironing his shirt so it is perfect. I picture him eating Tasteykakes. I picture him not getting close enough to anyone to shoot the person. And that is really it. I don't picture him in a bar in an argument. And that story really shocked the hell out of me--if there is any truth to him being involved. I don't get shocked by much. If you are that hell bent on equating what I wrote with Suzanne Waldman's Roger Clemens rant, knock yourself out. Sorry I was that over the top. But this *is* dramatic to a lot of people, though, in the way Roger Clemens coming out of retirement for the 40th time wasn't.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Maybe you didn't see that small tattoo on the back of his shoulder. That said it all right there!!!

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go so far to say he's an asshole, but he's not polite either. I've interviewed him and whether it's good question or bad, he doesn't suffer the media well at all and can be curt, which I interpret as impolite.

Doesn't reflect on his guilt or innocence here, just what I've observed.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Right. He's often in his own world and that world, to outsiders, is pretty cold. And I wouldn't say he's been the greatest teammate over the last year or two while he's been hurt and Reggie Wayne has become Manning's favorite target (not that those situations are easy, but still). Not saying any of that makes gunplay plausible, but I'll just say I didn't see this news and think "Oh my God! Not Marvin Harrison!"

Heck, I don't say that about any athlete who gets in (alleged) trouble anymore. We don't know them at all.

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

He was so sheltered by the "players should carry themselves like Marvin Harrison" mantra that they forgot that he's the same guy who allegedly beat up some ball boy a few years ago.

I'm not surprised by things coming from anyone in this day and age.

7. Firing a weapon isn't automatically a crime or even a sin.

Based on what we know so far, if they prove he is the shooter than maybe they can get him for discharging a weapon in city limits, a misdemeanor.

After that, the mitigating circumstances are endless. We don't know yet whether he had a good reason to fire the gun.

Bottom line, I have no idea if he did anything wrong, but he's far from the top of the list of athletes I would have thought would be in trouble with the law. Partly because of his age and partly because of his demeanor.

And Kirby Puckett was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for me as far as being shocked by what they do.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Tattoos and nose rings brought us to this.

9. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Stop it JW.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

They found the gun in a bucket at a car wash he owns. Why would you stash it there. Doesn't anyone watch the Soprano's.

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

This is not going to end well.
    But as all of us know, nothing a jock does surprises us.
    OJ, Magic, Boggs, Clemens, Bonds, Canseco, McGwire, Ruth, Cobb, Hornung, Rose, Chamberlain, etc.
    Nothing.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Tattooed people are evil.

Draft saved Draft deleted