1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marvin Harrison accused of shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pancamo, May 2, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No I really don't think it is over the top. A really quiet man. Most of his teammates don't know him well. Just a really different kind of person... I didn't know he owned a bar. I could never IMAGINE him owning a bar, actually. Bars are social places. But even less than owning a bar, I can't imagine him firing a gun. What I do know about him? Not what you picture in a gun fight outside a bar. The guy is a neat freak. There are military lockers that are not that perfect. Check out his locker if you ever get a chance... Wasn't rich growing -- I think his dad died young, but his mom was pretty strict. Went to Catholic school, and wore a tie every day... and from what I know it was somewhere in north Philly in a gentrified area. A lot more to it, than just those things. He is one of those guys who even people who are around him all the time don't even know. And I am not one of those people. But from what I had gathered about him, the LAST thing I could have imagined was Marvin Harrison shooting someone or even if he wasn't the shooter, lying about the gun being at his home. So as I said, I hope none of that is true.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1795964/

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And the final nail goes into the coffin of Thinking You Know Anything About Someone Because You Saw Them Catch A Football/baseball/basketball.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I say all that,but I would be stunned if Peyton was involved in a violent crime.

5. He seemed like such a quite, polite young man.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why when I read this post do I have Suzyn Waldmans voice ringing through my ears.
    When are we going to stop being shocked by athletes, even the "good" ones.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

When Tiger Woods is accused of a stripclub shooting.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Just because Marvin Harrison was involved in a shooting doesn't mean he was in the wrong. It certainly doesn't mean he's a bad guy.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

At least he can catch a case.

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I'm dying over here JC.

You speak nothing but the truth. But then again, maybe I'm wrong for my inability to carry on like some of these sportswriters and analysts tying everything wrong with society to a player celebrating after scoring a TD.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Has nothing to do with "being shocked by athletes." Marvin Harrison could be my next door neighbor and work for the telephone company, and I'd have the same exact reaction. It doesn't fit what I knew. That is not fake overdrama. It's the reaction quite a few people I am talking to right now who know him are having. And they are not exactly "Suzyn Waldman" types.

I would, however, love to subscribe to the voices in your head.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And just because he catches footballs and talks nicely to the media doesn't mean he's a good guy.

Although in my book, not too many good guys follow another guy outside at 5 in the afternoon with a gun, then hide said gun after it has discharged seven bullets, all the while saying the gun never left your house. If someone did that, that's kind of a bad-guy thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted