1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marty: "LT is the finest running back to ever wear an NFL Uniform"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Tom?

No way are you talking about Bo.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Let's see where LT2 is in the conversation in two years. If he has two more monster years and wins a Super Bowl, he's in the top three. The Payton similiarities are uncanny.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can't believe I wrote it either. But that team is so potent that even Marty, playing not to lose, can win in the playoffs with it.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If LT, god forbid, goes down with a career-ending injury this weekend, there will be a lot of sentiment for him being the greatest ever. You'll remember him as even better than he was ...

And if you're going to list those four, I don't know how one can avoid putting Gale Sayers right in the middle of them.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think "best back ever" is one of those things that isn't quantifiable. There are so many criteria people can honestly value differently. I mean Jim Brown was so much better than everyone else during his era that it was like watching a man against boys (kind of like Babe Ruth). Does that make him the best ever? Walter Payton was an "all-purpose" back before there even was such a thing and he dominated so many facets of the game for a long time. Does that make him the best ever? You tuned in to Sportscenter just to see what ridiculous juke you'd never seen before on a football field Barry Sanders pulled off that day. Does that make him the best ever?

You can say that Tomlinson has all of those qualities, to some degree or another. In a few more years he will also have the longevity numbers, too. He's definitely put his name in the conversation. lt's just a conversation without a definitive answer.

6. i don't know the order but the top six are...earl campbell, walter payton, jim brown, barry sanders, oj simpson and ladanian tomlinson...

7. Let's see.
    Ah...Jim Brown.

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

it's made michael vick the best ever!

9. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

hoops says herschel walker is the greatest human ever. :)

10. Easy answer: Walter Payton.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

and he's not wrong

[​IMG]

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

1. Jim Brown
    2. OJ Simpson
    3. Walter Payton

Then comes everybody else in any order you want to put them

Draft saved Draft deleted