1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marty Kaiser jumps ship at Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by old_tony, Dec 9, 2014.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

http://bit.ly/1uhggby

Says he's looking for new opportunities but probably doesn't have to work another day in his life.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is it jumping ship to retire at age 64 after 20 years with the company?

3. old_tony

Well, the company is being taken over by a new entity in a couple of months, and he says he's not retiring but looking for the next opportunity.

I see him in a cushy professorship at Marquette University in the near future.

The interesting part to me is that George Stanley has been privately telling anyone who can to get out, and now he's taking over as editor.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I remember Kaiser getting all erect over the opportunity to throw out the first pitch at Miller Park one day and get a freebie from the Brewers of a jersey with his name on the back.

Lightweight.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I assume he appreciates the Dickensian aspect.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

He and Garry Howard must have gotten along pretty well.

7. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

Going from Marty Kaiser to George Stanley is like going from Vince Lombardi to Phil Bengston.

I mean, is George going to dress up like Santa Claus 13 days from now and pass out tiny three-cent bags of stale popcorn to the newsroom survivors, who will call it their "Christmas bonus?" I think not. Marty made that outfit work.

Doesn't matter much in the long run, though. George will be the final editor of the seven-day Journal Sentinel.

8. old_tony

Hell, when times were great in the business, the "Christmas Bonus" at the JS was a small chocolate Santa handed out with your paycheck.

9. Joe Williams

But you must admit, they were delicious.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Christmas bonus? What's that?

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

One of the best reasons to get out of the newspaper business now. Just got mine this week.

12. Joe Williams

Best Christmas bonus I ever got was first job: coupon for free frozen turkey from local grocery store. Of course I was single, living far from family and friends and, anyway, no way was I cooking a turkey. Donated to local shelter, done, gee-thanks bosses.

Draft saved Draft deleted