1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marty Brodeur breaks Terry Sawchuk's record for most shutouts by an NHL goalie

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ask, and you shall receive. Hainsworth had six 0-0 ties during that 1928-29 season.

He gave up 5 goals once, 4 goals twice (all three of them losses) and 3 goals on 3 occasions (2 losses and a tie). At one point, he had FOUR consecutive shutouts (3 wins and a tie). And the game in which he gave up 5 goals were the only ones he gave up in a five game stretch in which he had four other shutouts (3 wins and a tie).

http://wwweyesontheprize.blogspot.com/2008/10/1928-29-hainsworth-human-wall.html

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Wow. What an odd season. And great research.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yep. Nice work, Baron!

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

And I had just to look further. The five-goal game was against Detroit, which scored 82 goals on the season. I know they opened up the passing rules the next year to increase scoring, but I just wonder if the referee and the linesmen just said screw that night and let the guys skate.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

As pastor said, where no can see it.

His face should be plastered on every billboard in New Jersey right now.

Hell, they take banner ads on our web site and never mention a single player's name.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Re: Marty Brodeur breaks Terry Sawchuk's record for most shutouts by an NHL goa

Just want to point out that Tony Esposito is considered the modern day record holder for most shutouts in a season with 15. When it was probably brought up with brodeur a couple of seasons ago is that he set a personal high of 12 shutouts inthe 06-07 season. Usually when the seasonal shutout record is brought up they will reference Tony O due to how far the game evolved batween the 20s and 50s. What exact year they consider a cut off I don't know, but not many records continue to exist from that era, hainsworths is probably the most prominant. It's almost like using pre-1900 MLB records in major league baseball today.

7. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

Not a hockey fan, but happened to come upon Brodeur at one of his kid's pee-wee hockey games in Rockland County about 4 years ago. Other than looking much more fit than the other parents, you wouldn't have know the person was possibily the greatest goalie in NHL history. Just a regular guy, polite fan, jeans and a hoodie, social to anybody who approached him. I was very impresssed with how he carried himself.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I'm a big Glenn Hall fan, but thanks for the post above. Kinda epitomizes Brodeur's quiet greatness.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To me, there are three eras in the NHL. You had the pioneer era (from 1917 until 1945) which had a bunch of teams that no longer exist. You have the Original Six era from 1946 to 1967, when the league expanded. And the Modern Era from 1967 to today.

Just one guy's opinion.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that you could make a case for creating a new era: the post lock-out era. As it's played now the game has little resemblance to say, the New Jersey Devils's style of play in the mid 90's.

We could call that the unwatcheable era.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Well, you can see Brodeur on the big wall, just need to be on Broad street instead of 21 or Mulberry.

I have seen billboards up with Brodeur on it. But, the Devils usually just have the big Devils logo.

You are right, though. Brodeur should be plastered EVERYWHERE!

12. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

In regards to all the different era's, you guys think the new rules will affect scoring records? Obviously guys like Crosby and Ovechkin are getting more room to work than the guys who played through the "clutch-and-grab" era. The new rules were instilled to bump scoring (I think it has slightly but I really don't know).

Of course, you could probably ban goaltending and still nobody would challenge Gretzky's ridiculous stats so it may not even be a debate.

Draft saved Draft deleted