1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marty Brodeur breaks Terry Sawchuk's record for most shutouts by an NHL goalie

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

:)

2. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Sawchuk wore number 30 and got his 103rd shutout against the Pens. Brodeur also wears number 30 and got his 104th against the Pens.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Brodeur also have the single-season shutout record as well?? I seem to remember something from a few years ago involving him and a shutout record(??) I might've been hallucinating.

Nice to see the Pens fans give him a nice standing ovation. He's an absolute bitch to play against, that's for sure.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Brodeur has the record for shutouts in a single postseason - 7, in 2003.

The regular-season record is one of those that will never be broken - 22, set by George Hainsworth in 1928-29.

More remarkable than the number itself is that Hainsworth got his 22 shutouts in 44 games that year. He allowed 43 goals in those 44 games for a 0.92 GAA - another mark that will stand forever.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Re: Marty Brodeur breaks Terry Sawchuk's record for most shutouts by an NHL goa

Congratulations, Marty.

As a Devils fan who was a fan of the franchise when it was in Colorado (the original Rockies) and transitioned my support when the team moved to New Jersey, I am extremely happy to see Brodeur achieve all that he has in his career. Sure, he's had wonderful defensemen in front of him, but as others have already said, Brodeur gives his team the confidence going into every game that there's a very good chance they'll emerge victorious.

Also, it almost doesn't surprise me that the guy shuts out the defending champion Pens coming off a previous game in which he gives up three goals on six shots against Atlanta and gets pulled. Brodeur has a knack for bouncing right back and being mentally tough, not dwelling on the last game. I'm sure playing the Pens had something to do with it, but his motivation is remarkable. The NHL will definitely be a poorer place in net when he retires (he's signed through 2012).

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When Marty first started playing, I was still a little concerned about him filling the skates of Sean Burke. Frankly, I hoped that he was going to be as good as Alain Chevrier.

Well, look at what 15 years have wrought. A guy who is the best goalie in NHL history, yet is pretty much ignored by the NY media even though he spent most of his career only a few miles away from Times Square. If he was a Ranger, his face would be plastered on every billboard in New York.

Congrats to an all-time great.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Brodeur is not ignored by the media, he's ignored by his own organ-I-zation.
    His face is not plastered anywhere because of Lamoriello's refusal to promote individual players.

I was at The Rock last season when Brodeur got his 100th shutout. He was the No.1 star of the game, but there was no mention at the arena that he had 100 shutouts.
    Inexcusable, but Lou would rather he be called a genius than have his great players get the credit (and money) they deserve.

7. Claws for Concern

I find it refreshing that the Devils DON'T celebrate their star players. A team that acts and plays like it and wins is OK in my eyes. Lou's earned his success too.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I understand the whole team over individual thing, but I can't help but think the Devils would draw more fans if they celebrated their stars more.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

As fair as Spnited's comments on Lou are, Brodeur is plastered on a giant building facing Broad Street in Newark. This would be the opposite side of The Rock from what everyone sees.

10. Claws for Concern

Re: Marty Brodeur breaks Terry Sawchuk's record for most shutouts by an NHL goa

:)

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Not even close? Really? In an era that also featured Hasek and Roy?

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

The odd thing is thing that he only won 22 games that year. Record was 22-7-15. Of course, I have been able to tell ( and never really had access to Montreal newspapers archive to really try) to see how many of his shutouts ended in ties.

But I digress. Brodeur's career records are impressive.

Draft saved Draft deleted