1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marty Brodeur breaks Terry Sawchuk's record for most shutouts by an NHL goalie

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Dec 22, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's on the NHL thread, but this is one of the greatest moments in hockey history and maybe in modern sports and deserves a little recognition.

Sawhuck's record has stood for 39 years and even the great Patrick Roy couldn't manage to beat this one

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Brodeur-clutches-history-traps-NHL-shutout-reco?urn=nhl,210273#remaining-content

It's the single most unappreciated aspect of the entire "Brodeur vs. the system" debate: That it takes an extraordinary talent to provide the foundation for that system to excel for, oh, 15 years. So while players and coaches and rules and eras have come and gone, Brodeur has been the constant in GM Lou Lamoriello's franchise-defining philosophy of fundamental defensive play. If you think someone like Curtis Joseph(notes) could have backstopped 104 shutouts by simply being a Devils goalie, you're either delusional or, more likely, a Rangers fan.

Congrats, Marty, and Donna from The Goose loves you even more. :)

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hats off, Mr. Brodeur. And thank you for way in which you've handled yourself throughout your career.

Game 4 in Raleigh last season notwithstanding ...

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'm glad Patrick Roy didn't get this record, and I'm glad Marty has relieved him of the records he did hold.

I'm also happy to be sharing a publisher and an editor with Marty. I hope he buys my book. :)

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Re: Marty Brodeur breaks Terry Sawchuk's record for most shutouts by an NHL goa

Brodeur is the last of the stand up goalies and if you read some of his interviews, he kinda mocked the butterfly style.

I doubt he would get along with Francois Allaire.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

I think he's the one modern goalie who would have dominated in any era, even more so than Roy.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Agree. At times he looks like Plante, Bower, Worsley, Parent and oh, I don't know, guys who win.

As Ken Dryden once said of Hasek, "All he does is stop the puck"

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

good thing this hockey thing worked out for him, because he wasn't much of an actor

Best goalie of his time. Not even close. Roy can go suck an egg. Also re. the devils style, it leaves no room for error when you try to win every game 1-0 or 2-1. Brodeur was the reason they could play this way.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

I read a similar comment once about Bert Olmstead. I think the quote was from Jacques Plante, come to think of it. It was something to the effect of, "He can't skate. He can't score. All he can do is win."

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

I believe Brodeur has been quoted as saying he didn't believe in Allaire's methods.

Brodeur and Scott Stevens were the mainstays of the Devils' run. When I hear Brodeur is the greatest goaltender of all time, my first thought is "Wait a minute, that may be a bit much." But then when you think about it, I have a hard time thinking of somebody who was clearly better than Brodeur. There might be several who were in the smae league as him, but nobody who is clearly better to the point where you don't have to think of it. I think there is too much of thinking that it is the Devils' "system", but Brodeur is responsible for the "System's" success.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

As not much of a hockey fan, I am happy to say that the greatest goalie in NHL history has spent his entire career as the face of the New Jersey Devils ... and given Lamoriello's failure to promote and publicize his star players the way they deserve, that is saying a whole lot.
    Brodeur also became a US citizen last month...at the Federal Court House right around the corner from The Rock...and won a game that night.

He has been for 15+ years a truly class act -- except for that little thing with his 'sister-in-law.'

Most games, most wins, most 40 win seasons, most shutouts, 3 Cups and probably less money by staying in NJ than he might have gotten somewhere else. What more can you ask for?

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

This.

Brodeur would have been a winner no matter what team he played for.

The Devils may not have won even one Stanley Cup, let alone three, if not for Brodeur.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

The Devils would not have won a Stanley Cup without Scott Stevens.

Draft saved Draft deleted