1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marty Brennaman

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lyman_Bostock, Aug 2, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I think the Rooney thing boiled down to a contract dispute, money or both.

And I think I've posted about the Pat Foley thing here before. I'll check into it.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

about a month ago, Frattere menioned on the air "Try and come out and see this team. They're a good bunch of guys that deserve your support." Know what? I'll bet Big and Rich are a good bunch of guys too. But they're a shitty band so forget it.

3. Is Stone still on day games? I haven't seen him the past couple. Wondering if ESPN broke up the Steve Squared.

Santo is crap. Listen to Cubs/Mets for the Sunday night game with the two grandslams. First few innings were:
    "See what happens when everyone is healthy and everything is clicking. This is great."

by the sixth inning,
    "This is no reflection on Dusty. The mets are leading the NL East. They are a good team.

4. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

More Brennaman honesty...

On the post-game show tonight, he called the Dodgers' sweep of the Reds, "The homestand from hell."

5. I don't care much for Lanny (the above example of homerism is a big reason), and he supposedly is a horse's ass off the air. I was told his side business is to sell his old scorecards. What, being the Pirates' broadcaster for 25-30 years doesn't pay enough?

6. Considering how the Deadbirds are playing right now, the Reds could have picked up a lot of ground this week. They haven't.

7. micman305

micman305 New Member

yes, sir...for the low, low price of $15, you can have the actual, game-used scorecard from Lanny himself (if it's an average game, check out the pricing structure for the special games...it must be the best legal side business out there...)

http://www.lannycards.com/

8. Another Brennaman gem tonight, after Gary Majewski went on the DL with a bum shoulder he's apparently had all year:

"The beat reporters will tell you the Reds weren't told the whole truth about Gary Majewski. Those same reporters will tell you that, considering who the Reds made the trade with, they aren't surprised."

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

That's a great line by Marty.

Injuries/shitty performances notwithstanding, I still expect Majewski to be a productive player for the Reds at some point in time. And even if he doesn't pan out, I've been so impressed by Bray that he might be worth the trade alone.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Herb Carneal is, in fact, north of 80 and only does the middle three innings of home games or something like that.

But, as someone pointed out, he called the first Twins game in Minnesota, and, for a while there, he looked like a safe bet to do the last, so he's got a lifetime free pass. Back when he used to do all the games, he used to do shout-outs to fans in far-flung locales that would always include, "Joe-Bob over there in Willmar, out on the tractor while he listens to the Twins on WK-whatever the fuck." It was priceless.

Hawk is still the worst.

But if you're ever in the Twin Cities are on a Friday or Saturday night, turn on 950 AM to hear Glen Sonmor call a Gophers hockey game.

The most fun you can have with your pants on.

11. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

geez.

i though glen sonmor was dead. he is a funny dude, though.

there is nothing worse than warren sawkiw on blue jays telecasts.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

True story.

i'm covering the Gophers at a playoff game at CC. Last weekend of the season, Gophs get swept and end up the six seed and have to travel to CC as the five.

Gophs put a hurting on the Tigers in the first game, second game is a dogfight. Minny clinging to a 2-1 lead late when CC rings a post. Ref, inexplicably calls it a goal. They go to the WCHA officials replay, which happened to have the commissioner in the booth. They take literally a half an hour to make the call. Then, they, inevitably, rule that there is insufficient evidence to overrule the goal call. Glen must have been bitching about it on the air, but saved his best for between periods.

Came steaming out of his booth, catches the commish (Bruce somethingorother) in the hallway and dresses him down in front of God and everyone. Calls him gutless and cowardly and every swear word I've ever heard and some I hadn't.

Nice as your grandpa, Glen, but don't fuck with his Gophers, who won in OT, by the way.

Draft saved Draft deleted