1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marty-Ball Fired!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Only now is it an official story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2763552

"Sources close to Marty Schottenheimer and the San Diego Chargers said the coach was fired by the team Monday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported."

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I had heard that a big part of the problem was that the GM wanted Phillips to be the coach. The timing on this is bizarre, I wonder when we find out what actually happened. What a great job to open up after all the big candidates are hired. Someone's going to get really lucky.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

that's funny. glad that mort has my back to support the statement i received from, you know, the chargers. :eek:

4. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

While the NFL candidates are now completely picked over, the one thing this gives them is their pick of college coaches since signing day is past. Other than Carroll, who'd be a fit from college though? Stoops, maybe Tedford? And if you wanted Carroll, I'd assume he'd want total control so you'd have to cut AJ Smith loose too.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

go get 'em, shocker... ;)

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

They can have Rich Brooks.

7. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

You only had one source Shockey. Mort had "sources."

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Cutting loose A.J. Smith wouldn't be a good move. And the I-want-total-control coaches, especially making the jump from college, always fail.

9. A preview of tomorrow's press conference at Chargers headquarters:

[​IMG]

10. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

I've got to think that firing a coach this late in the hiring season, Marty's successor has already been selected. They'll move quickly, run through the usual five or six "interview" and "interested" reports, but ultimately, it won't make a difference.

Not saying I know who it is, but that's usually how crap like this works. Won't be shocked at all if it's Carroll.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

meanwhile, what a freakin' job someone's stepping into... a super bowl-calibre team, loaded with young talent, in possibly the most beautiful city in the country. yowser!! 8)

or would that be, "yowza!! ???

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Or, and I think more likely, after the success they decided to suffer thru Marty for one more year until he did _______________ yesterday & got himself fired, which would mean they have no clue what comes next.

Draft saved Draft deleted