1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marty-Ball Fired!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

ESPN crawl says the Chargers have canned Marty. That's somewhat surprising, especially since their entire coaching staff has been promoted elsewhere more or less. So where do the Chargers turn for a new coach?

2. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

3. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Pete Carrol? Would he jump back to the NFL with San Diego?

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

MUAHAHAHAHAHAH! FUCK YOU MARTY SCHOTTENHEIMER! FUCK YOU TO HELL!!!!!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled pithy comments.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Come on, the Browns will win a title one of these days. Maybe not in your lifetime, but it's bound to happen.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'd look at Ron Rivera or Mike Singletary. Let the defense continue to flourish, and those guys can bring in an effective OC to oversee the continued development of Rivers.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

AP news alert just moved.

8. AP News Alert

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) -- Alabama football coach Nick Saban stated publicly Monday night he is not interested in the vacant San Diego Chargers head coaching position.

"I came to Alabama to win and I won't leave until that happens," Saban said.

Alabama athletic director Mal Moore and Chargers owner Alex Spanos were unavailable for comment.

-30-

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Paging BitterYoungMatador ...

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

Statement from Chargers President Dean Spanos

“Today I made an extremely difficult decision: Marty Schottenheimer is no longer the head coach of the San Diego Chargers.

“This decision was so hard because Marty has been both a friend and valued coach of our team. But my first obligation is always to do what is in the best interest of our fans and the entire Charger organization. I must take whatever steps are necessary to deliver a Super Bowl trophy to San Diego. Events of the last month have now convinced me that it is not possible for our organization to function at a championship level under the current structure. On the contrary, and in the plainest possible language, we have a dysfunctional situation here. Today I am resolving that situation once and for all.

“My decision means that our organization will be obligated to pay the last year of Marty Schottenheimer’s contract and will begin an intense search for a new head coach at this relatively late date, but these are sacrifices that I believe are necessary to give the Chargers the best possible chance to win on the field this season.

“Our fans deserve to know what changed for me over the last month. When I decided to move ahead with Marty Schottenheimer in mid-January, I did so with the expectation that the core of his fine coaching staff would remain intact. Unfortunately, that did not prove to be the case, and the process of dealing with these coaching changes convinced me that we simply could not move forward with such dysfunction between our head coach and general manager. In short, this entire process over the last month convinced me beyond any doubt that I had to act to change this untenable situation and create an environment where everyone at Charger Park would be pulling in the same direction and working at a championship level. I expect exactly that from our entire Charger organization in 2007.”

###

11. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Much as I hate to pile on someone losing their job . . .I cannot stand this man. So . . . .

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yet, my schaudenfreude is tempered by the fact the Chargers got one step closer to the Super Bowl today.

Draft saved Draft deleted