1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Martina takes another stand

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Scout, Feb 20, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I find the idea that a person would become trans for competitive advantage, knowing the higher murder rates, the discrimination etc. pretty laughable. Trans people probably have bigger things to worry about, and this argument seems mainly designed to further the notion that trans people are most interested in peeking into the bathrooms of the opposite gender, cheating at sports and getting access to things that they normally wouldn't be.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, somebody read the talking points, but that is not a fair analogy. I keep trying to come up with better ones, but I can't think of one. People who are born male have physical advantages over people who are born female. They do not meet the physical requirements to play women's sports.

Iron_chet likes this.
  3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

It is reasonable to expect society to accommodate one's identity for the sake of that person's happiness.

It is not similarly reasonable to expect science to accommodate one's biology for the same.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

It might be a bit more applicable in Caster Semenya’s situation.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If Grayson Allen finally came to the realization that she’s a woman living in a man’s body, she’d be the best player in the WNBA, but not even the worst bitch in the NBA

6. outofplace

Sorry, but no. That simply isn't true. It certainly isn't a fair representation of Navratilova's comments. It would be laughable for a person to become trans simply for competitive advantage. People do some incredibly stupid things for athletic success and I hesitate to put limits on how far some individuals will go, but if that has happened at all, it has to be incredibly rare. That is why Navratilova's use of the word cheating was a mistake, because it implies that was the sole reason for the transition.

But what about people born male who transition to female because that is what they feel is right for them, then want to compete as a woman? Is that fair?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess I just don't know where the word "fair" enters into the conversation. Is it fair that some athletes are taller than others, stronger than others - maybe the answer is to do away with separate gender categories for sports.

RickStain likes this.
  8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

OK, I'm triggered. Still waiting for someone to explain to me why we still have separate actor and actress categories in Oscars, Emmys etc.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Well, there goes any interest for me in beach volleyball...

10. outofplace

Yes, it is fair that some athletes are taller, stronger or faster than others. If it wasn't, there would be no point to athletics at all.

Wasn't there a basketball league once that had a height limit? What if someone who was an inch taller than the limit wanted to play? That's as close as I can get to a fair analogy for a person who is physically male but identifies as female wanting to play in a league for women.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The IOC guidelines are in the last two lines of the story in the OP.

Under guidelines introduced in 2016, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) allows athletes transitioning from female to male to participate without restrictions.

Male to female competitors, however, are required to have kept their levels of testosterone - a hormone that increases muscle mass - below a certain level for at least 12 months.

Reference to which might be part of the data/science comment.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Speaking of trans, I read the other day that the only major organ (not include the sex organs) that is not transferable between males and females in transplants is the liver, because the physical make-up and chemical structure of the liver is sex-specific, due to its role in manufacturing hormones and their link to chromosones.

If that's the case, doesn't that mean that you can never truly transition?

Draft saved Draft deleted